Cleaning the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

basket440

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting to have an algae problem in my 55g FOWL tank. Its a little more than two weeks old and I have enlisted 10 Astrea snails to help obviously not enough but I did not want to overload the tank. So I have this scrubber for my fish tank witch is basically a sponge on a stick that I let soak in a tub with fresh water i use to clean my hydrometer out. So since I have to wait to put more "janitors" in I decided to scrub the algae off and it didn't work too bad there were some parts I couldn't get due to live rock but the fish went a little nuts. I have two clarkii clowns a royal gramma and a yellow tail damsel everyone but the gramma ran to the other side of the tank he just went into his hiding space. I guess my question is does this method of cleaning cause my fish too much stress or do they just get excited, think its a predator and realise they are safe on the other side of the tank. I will stop this kind of cleaning if it is going to damage my fish. Thanks guys!

When you can get more snails, but I do this to my tank sometimes and nobody even moves. I can stick my hand in the tank and touch the fish and they just bite me, but I am not sure about your individual fish. I think it should be fine, but its really up to you. Your the one seeing it happen and you know exactly what happens and if the fish look VERY stressed I would stop and add more snails. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom