Cleanup crew and trigger fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevestew.ss

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking about starting a tank with triggerfish but not sure about a cleanup crew. I keep reading they will eat everything looking for any advice on cleanup crew and tank mates. Thanks

Your choices, which are not many, will depend on the type of triggerfish you want to keep. Triggers with pointed faces will eat almost anything you put in the tank as a clean up crew so YOU will have to be that crew. Roundfaced triggers will also eat almost anything but you may have a chance with Turbo snails or other snails. Crabs, Urchins, Shrimps Cucumbers, etc are all food for any triggerfish. The big issue with using snails is that if they are killed and not eaten, they can pollute the water. :(
When dealing with triggerfish, you are best being the clean up crew. Make sure you clean around rocks and crevices as they will fill up with detritus and pollute the tank.

Hope this helps. (y)

As a former owner of triggerfishes I must concur with Andy regarding any cleanup crew that are in the tank,… these cute little monsters will eat everything you put in there ,..they also tend to be rather territorial when it comes to the other fishes too.
Don’t get me wrong ,..I love em to pieces but they can really be challenging.,as Andy said “ you are the cleanup crew”

Back
Top Bottom