Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2020, 01:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cleanup Crew Size?

Hello! I’m looking to add some shrimp and perhaps a few hermit crabs to my 75g FO aquarium in a few days! I expect to be ready by Wednesday or Thursday

I was just wondering how many shrimp I should get, and if I get hermit crabs, how many of those? I was wanting 3+ of each but if I don’t need that many or they won’t get along, then I can hold off. The shrimp I want are Scarlet Skunk Cleaners and i’ll probably end up with Red-Legged Hermit Crabs.

Edit: I already have two ocellaris clownfish in my tank. Should I keep the shrimp in a breeder box for a few days or would it be okay to just go ahead and add them? *I will properly acclimate beforehand! Just to clarify~

Old 03-29-2020, 03:51 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

There isn't really a set number for things that clean up around the tank. It ends up being one of those whatever works sort of things.
Just so you're aware, the skunk cleaners won't be actually cleaning anything around your tank like a hermit crab does. Either way, unless the clowns are being extreme bullies there shouldn't be any issue in terms of a breeder box housing. Just as long as they are properly acclimated.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh I didn’t realize that! I’ll try and do a few more hours of research before I make any big decisions, then! My clownfish are goofballs, but they seem pretty peaceful. Thank you so so much for your help!!
Looking for any & all advice!
Nightsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No problem. At the end of the day, in a perfect scenario we wouldn't even need a clean up crew if flow could remove all of the uneaten food and poop into your filtration. But my 135 reef is kept clean by 3 turbos and two tangs. Then some maintenance to blow out dead spots once and awhile.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleanup, size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com