Clown behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeoCatsy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 maroon clowns. 1 is small and dark. The other little bigger and lighter. the bigger likes to nip at the smaller one a lot. The smaller come back some time to nip but then begins to kinda shiver. The small one is maybe 1-1 1/2 inches the bigger maybe 2 inches. Should I separate or let them work it out. i have had the smaller for 1 week, the bigger for 3 days.

Just let them duke it out. I think clowns only fight to the death when theres one that is about the same size and shape.. and it doesn't sound like you have two that look identical. I would just keep a close eye on them and see how they fair out, but overall, it just sounds like normal clown behavior to me. Also, if they get pretty rowdy, you can just kill the lights. When you shut the lights off, it will calm them down and they will stop fighting. This is how i got my clowns to stop fighting. Now they are best buds. :)

Sounds like they are trying to establish who will be the dominant female (if same specie). I put two that were unmated in my tank and the same size, about 2 years ago and am still waiting for them to sex.

I agree with roka, I had the same issue with my clowns (still do and it had been approx 6 months with them) The one looks like it is going into a seizure, but from what I have read it is a dominance thing. No worries!

Back
Top Bottom