Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4N6DET

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased two tank raised percula clownfish for my FOWLR tank three days ago. They look healthy but for some reason all they do is stay at the top of the tank in the corner. I also have a damsel in the tank that doesn't seem to be bothering them. My question is could I/should I add a anemone to make them more comfortable or do they just need time to get familiar with the tank. Thanks.

I'm not an expert yet, but I'd say give it some time. I just recently added a 2nd clownfish to my tank yesterday and noticed the he was mainly staying near the surface, but he was still acting normal other then that. It takes time to get used to their new surroundings. I'm not sure about the damsel being in there though...that may not be a good thing, even if nothing is happening now it probably will in the future.

I would not get an anenome. There`s a 50/50 chance that the clown will host the anenome. Also anenomes need a mature tank of at least a yr old. If the damsel is bothering them then you`ll need to get rid of him. I`m sure some of it is getting acclimated to the tank.

4N6DET said:
I purchased two tank raised percula clownfish for my FOWLR tank three days ago. They look healthy but for some reason all they do is stay at the top of the tank in the corner. I also have a damsel in the tank that doesn't seem to be bothering them. My question is could I/should I add a anemone to make them more comfortable or do they just need time to get familiar with the tank. Thanks.

My two clowns do the same thing... I Its normal... Did a lot of research they pick a corner and usually dont roam far... Anemomes are hard to keep ... Had one that grew huge, so big it split in two ... For years, then all of a sudden it shrank and dissapeared... Have tried a few others never been able to get one like that again... And the clowns would always stay in it but cant get another one to do well...

I would not get an anenome. There`s a 50/50 chance that the clown will host the anenome. Also anenomes need a mature tank of at least a yr old. If the damsel is bothering them then you`ll need to get rid of him. I`m sure some of it is getting acclimated to the tank.

I learned this one the hard way. Depsite all the reading I do on here, I never caught that one and mine died a few days ago in the tank. My first first SW fish, a clown, died because of all the ammonia, so thats why I got another. My tank has been running only two months now.

Why do they need a mature tank? If all the levels are correct and you have the lighting, what does a mature tank have over a newer tank other then perhaps some more stability?

it has more stabillity and more bacteria and it is more setteled to the fish and your filtration system is matured. and most inportantly u will have alot more experiance and be ablle to deal with things when they go wrong

Back
Top Bottom