Clownfish acting odd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased an ocellaris clownfish today and the entire time he has been in the tank he has been in the corner swimming back and forth. Is this normal? Do I have anything to worry about?

40 gallon long fowlr cycling currently

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410132169.096351.jpg he hasn't moved from that corner the entire time should I be worrying?

No it's not

He's probably acclimating to the tank. Mine used to do that. That's how they found there home in the corner of my tank lol. Is he breathing heavily?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nope not really

How long has the tank been set up? How did you acclimate him? I take it he is the only fish in there?

I took about an hour and a bit to acclimatize him, yes he is the only fish, tank started first cycling June 20th finished cycling early august

I don't think there is anything to worry about, has he eaten? It could take a few days for him to settle in. When I bought my first pair of clowns they hung around in the top corner for months!

Oh okay I haven't fed him yet but today I will and see how it goes

He is acting PERFECTLY normal for being in a new tank/environment.
Some fish do that "searching for a way out" thing for a couple of weeks before settling in.
The only sure fire way I have ever seen to preclude that type of behavior is if there was already another of the same species present in the tank, or adding them in pairs.
but it really isn't unusual behavior at all unless he never settles into the tank, then you need to look at other tankmates, etc that could be a source of stress.

Okay thanks so much I'll give him a pellet right now but if he doesn't accept it'll be okay. Thanks!

He hasn't started eating yet and it's his third day. Should I be worried? He's acting very good because he is exploring the tank but when someone comes close he will back off into his corner.

40 gallon FOWLR
48 x 13 x 17
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish

try some frozen mysiss shrimp not all fish will hit on pellets right away
enter slowly he needs to get used to you
my fish follow me most can be hand fed too

Back
Top Bottom