Clownfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmoore1985

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a pair of clownfish for a few years, and it seems that the female has laid eggs. Her belly was huge and dark, and now the male is protecting an area in the tank, not where the two normally stayed. When the male tries to swim to the surface to get food, the female chases him back to protect the area, I am assuming eggs. I have been reading that I should move the larvae when they hatch to a different tank without filtration. I have no quarantine or other tank set up at this point; will it need to be a cycled tank? Should I put liverock from the main tank in it? Is there any possible way some would survive in the main tank without me moving them? I have a 55 gallon tank with the clownfish, 3 green chromis, a bicolor blenny, and snails and hermit crabs. I have a powerhead, protein skimmer, and Emporer 400. Any advise is appreciated!

Hi, welcome to AA :)

In my opinion you have to weigh your wants out of the clownfish breeding. Raising clownfish fry is no easy process. It requires a steady supply of small foods such as artemia, green water, small baby brine shrimp, etc. constantly. Also meaning you'd already need a supply going at this point. A lot of people also use sponge filters to keep some filtration but not enough to cause any harm to the fry. You also have to find a place who will take the fry after a few months to a year, and be able to raise many of them for that long. Not to discourage you, but to let you know that it is a lot of work and time devotion.

That being said, when my clowns lay eggs I just let them go. Gives mom and dad something to do and a free snack. No, none will live in your main tank if you don't remove them.

If you seriously want to attempt raising them, I would consider purchasing Joyce Wilkerson's Book "Clownfish", which is usually considered THE book for clownfish breeding.

http://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-J...5446438?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175921459&sr=8-1

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom