Clownfish Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmacc99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two clownfish in my 29 gallon FOWLR tank. I have had these fish for the last 3 months without a problem. Lately, I have noticed that one of the clowns seems to be going after the other one. They are both the same size and were added to the tank together. It seems that one backs the other into a corner and then darts after him when he swims away. I also have a coral beauty and yellow goby with shrimp that seem to be neutral. Is this normal behavior?

I agree. I had two that fought all the time for 8 yrs but never to the death. But in some instances it can be death. Keep an eye out.

I experienced that also afew yrs ago. I bought a True Percula and a Maroon...Drove me CrAzY!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont have any suggestions to help with it, but they do defeat the purpose of a relaxing atmosphere!

Appears to be normal behavior. Just keep an eye on them to make sure no real damage is done, but I doubt that will happen.

Clowns are tricky....maybe they have been fighting all along and you just did not notice. Are they both the same type of clowns? What kind? My personal experience is they are either a pair, or fighting....nothing in-between.

At one time, they played well together. Now, the dominant clown fish won't let the other one move out from under the live rock. As soon as he tries to swim away, the other fish nips him into retreat....strange behavior.

Yea sounds Normal as can be! I have a tomato clown, and about a month ago i tried to put a Maroon clown in with it, and this Maroon was a lil bit bigger than my tomato and way more aggressive from what i saw at the LPS. But when i brought him home "O Boy" the crap hit the fan, Tomato beat the crap ouuta Maroon, had to take him back right away.

But when i brought him home "O Boy" the crap hit the fan, Tomato beat the crap ouuta Maroon, had to take him back right away.
lol. I know exactly what your talking about! I dont have any clowns right now. But I was thinking of 2 Percs, do you think they would fight also if I bought them at the sametime and they were the same?:confused:

Last edited:
I found the clown fish that was getting picked on dead, sucked into the intake of my protein skimmer. The dominant clown now seems to be going after the chromis. If he continues this behavior, I will remove him from the tank.

Christine if your gonna do it, that IS the best way to do it. Is to get them at the same time. Because that way there will be NO territory established for either of them. They'll more then likely TAKE to each other rather than kill each other.

Clowns are born unisex. If they where fine for months and now fight then they would be fighting for the female position. Females are dominate and will grow larger while the male will grow slower in size. Just dont tell your wife about this. Hehe.

Back
Top Bottom