Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazztalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know there is a compatibility chart on here, and they're all over the internet, but I'd prefer to find out from people who have experience...

I was thinking about getting a picasso trigger for my 75 gal tank. The only thing I have right now as far as fish or inverts goes are 2 damsels that have been a little aggressive in the past (surprise, right?). I am starting over with my tank, and was thinking about adding the picasso. Most places say they are compatible "with caution" with most other fish I would probably consider.

Does anyone know from experience... how much of an "issue" is compatibility going to be with the trigger? Some other fish I'm thinking of getting include clowns, dwarf angels, filefish, tangs (yellow or convict) and saddle valentini puffer.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!!!

I have only had limited experience with a trigger, but I would say you should be OK with most of your selections as long as you are only considering some and not all. Probably the biggest thing to consider is size. I would not put a juvenial clown in with a large trigger.

HTH,

Thanks! And yeah, I'm not going to put all those fish in my tank, but those are the ones I'm probably going to pick from. So, as long as I at least keep the sizes similar, I should be ok?

Had a fully grown (6.5") Picasso in a 210g. Had nearly 20+ different fish in the tank. He pecked at the damsels after having to fight for his share of food. In a 75g he might be more aggressive -- though this could also be offset by the quantity of food given. He was eventually sold in favor of converting the tank to a reef.

I honestly wouldn't see there being too big of a problem.

I thought the Picasso trigger could grow as large as 10 inches. :? Is that not true? If so, it would seem like 75 gallons would be a minimum for keeping one. They are really awesome fish though, one of my favorite SW fish!

severum mama said:
I thought the Picasso trigger could grow as large as 10 inches. :? Is that not true? If so, it would seem like 75 gallons would be a minimum for keeping one. They are really awesome fish though, one of my favorite SW fish!

Generally speaking, fish will stunt their growth to the environment. The damsels in a 210g grew to be bigger than my 3" tang -- after only two months. The same type of damsels spent a year in my old 75g and they stayed about an inch long (and my tank was "cleaner", and fish fed more often). And agreed on the 75g being the minimum. I wouldn't put any more fish in after him.

Back
Top Bottom