confused - fish deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure your waters fine, all the algae on the glass suggests that there may be high nitrates or something?

No I was told the algea was from my son leaving lights on for 10-12 hrs a day because I asked the good ifs to cheek my water when I returned the dead cromis. And they use some kite that cost 20$ each test and well I can't afford that test but it matched my api n red sea. and my sons not doing to well so I can't break his heart and tell him he can only watch his fish 6 hrs a day. Am I hurting the fish by allowing him to have the light on so long. Also wouldn't my shrimp be effected by high trates? From what I know shrimp are super sensetive that's why I'm lost my ifs is lost.

10-12 hours a day is not too long. How long is the sun up out at the reef?

I thought this two but had to ask the reef is huge and our cube is a pea compared to the reef. But just asked to make sure.

I could be mistaken, but this kinda sounds like Marine Velvet, which would not affect any snails, crabs or coral. It only affects fish. Do you quarantine before putting the fish into your display tank?

I could be mistaken, but this kinda sounds like Marine Velvet, which would not affect any snails, crabs or coral. It only affects fish. Do you quarantine before putting the fish into your display tank?

I don't believe this is what's wrong. The fish showed no signs of stress or breathing issues but I will research it more to make sure. I do have a quarantine but neither sets got quarantined. As first set was first things in tank, ans second set I know should have because of the corals and shrimp but didn't. I'm going to read more on the marine velvet.

In case this is it, how is it treated I've only ever read it to be treated with cooper and I can't do this with the inverts.

I think you are right. we were up all night with my son and he was just watching his tank, around 1 am we noticed little white spots by 2 am the fish looked like his skin was peeling off and than he just started like gasping so I put an air stone in and some sentry mardel ( followed doesing for reef tank for the corals n inverts safety) is this only treatable with cooper. If there's no fish in the tank will it die off? We are going to remove the cromis and put him in Q tank (its only 10g but will have to do him to get better) should I put a com of my hermits in the q tank to eat left over food?

The q tank is 10g fully cycled (sponge filter I keep in chamber 2 of DT just in case we needed it.) Bare bottom 2 smaller pieces of PVC pipe so that the fish has a place to hide feel safe. As soon as I noticed this this morning we did a 20% change on the q tank added sponge filter and my hubby went and got a bottle of right start just to add some Bactria to the q tank. Now for wc with the q tank I should do every day right? And test water 2 or 3 times daily?

I think you are right. we were up all night with my son and he was just watching his tank, around 1 am we noticed little white spots by 2 am the fish looked like his skin was peeling off and than he just started like gasping so I put an air stone in and some sentry mardel ( followed doesing for reef tank for the corals n inverts safety) is this only treatable with cooper. If there's no fish in the tank will it die off? We are going to remove the cromis and put him in Q tank (its only 10g but will have to do him to get better) should I put a com of my hermits in the q tank to eat left over food?

The q tank is 10g fully cycled (sponge filter I keep in chamber 2 of DT just in case we needed it.) Bare bottom 2 smaller pieces of PVC pipe so that the fish has a place to hide feel safe. As soon as I noticed this this morning we did a 20% change on the q tank added sponge filter and my hubby went and got a bottle of right start just to add some Bactria to the q tank. Now for wc with the q tank I should do every day right? And test water 2 or 3 times daily?

First off, you should not treat your "Display Tank" if that is what you did when you said "so I put an air stone in and some sentry mardel ( followed doesing for reef tank for the corals n inverts safety)". The only treatment I am aware of is Copper, and it MUST be a medicinal level (with an air stone) for the entire treatment period, if you do a water change you need to check you copper level and get it back up to a medicinal level. Then, you should continue the quarantine for another 30 days to ensure there are no more parasites/disease. You should only put the fish in the QT and leave the Display Tank "Fallow" for at least 90 Days shrimp, crabs, snails and corals can stay in the display tank. another thing to remember is to NOT use the same equipment for both tanks without sterilizing it first, for example, if you use a net or sponge for your QT and then use it for your display tank you could possibly cross contaminate, you don’t want the disease to get into the display tank, and cross contamination is another way it can get into your display tank.

Also, if this in fact has infected your tank, Marine Velvet has a very high mortality rate and usually by the time you see the symptoms it is too late to save the fish. with a 10G tank I would check parameters often. and yes you want bare bottom with PVC for hiding structure, remember no carbon while treating with Copper.

I will toss the sponge filter after we are dons treating. I dont have nets on sw i was told to use a cup which i use a new one,each time i need.

this motning my lfs told my hubby dose with the mardel to see if did it would do any thing. But like you said and i researched only cooper works. My hubby is out getting the medican the cromis is not showing signs thats still alive the one that died by the time it started to shoe he was pretty gone.

I did a 30 change on dt. The cromisis moved. should i also change all filter media on the dt like slowly?

I will test q tank 2 times and only do water changes when needed. I have an xtra circulation pump also should i put that in q tank?

So for MV, it is twice the fallow period as for Marine Ich? I always see to treat with copper in QT...and freshwater dips actually help (not cure though), but don't see much on doing anything for the DT.

Can I tear the tank down like reset it would that work. I really don't have 90 days to wait.

So for MV, it is twice the fallow period as for Marine Ich? I always see to treat with copper in QT...and freshwater dips actually help (not cure though), but don't see much on doing anything for the DT.

yes, the minium time to leave your tank fallow is 90 days. and copper is the only treatment I am aware of for Marine Velvet. a Fresh Water dip is not a cure, it only provides temporary relief to the fish and could possibly do more harm than good as it will further stress the fish.

Can I tear the tank down like reset it would that work. I really don't have 90 days to wait.

yes, you can tear down the tank, keep in mind you will need to sterilize the tank and anything in it or connected to it, and clean or replace all your rock and substrate or it will all be for nothing, you dont want to do all this work only to be right back where you started.

also, you dont need to throw any items used in your QT away just sterilize them befor you put them away or reuse them. to sterilize your items such as thermometers nets, tubing filters, dont forget any buckets you use for the QT tank. fill your tank with tap water, add 1/2 cup of Bleach per 10g of water, run any pumps and let it sit for at least 3-4 hours obviously the longer the better. then give a good rinse and fill again and add a dechlorinator and let run for about another hour, empty and rinse again and then youe equipment is sterilized and you can set it back up and start your cycle.

Can I go buy a sepreate 15g tank and do fish in cycle with a pair of clowns. I'm not impatient person or trying to rush. I have a 4 1/2 year old with cancer and our time given isn't 3 mons and all he wants is his memo. I have a thread about it.

I have separate gravel vac and everything for QT. But I do clean all gravel vacs out after using with vinager. I don't use nets, I have separate heaters and will starilaze as soon as I'm done using before I put away. I will start using urn bleech methode thank you.

The extra circulation pump I have is brand new so its not from the dt. So would it be good to have it for the qt.

Also should corals get Q when you get them?

I have heard of a dip for corals to cleanse them, actually I have some by Kent. Never had coral but I plan on using it when I do.

I bet if you do a thorough clean out of the DT and get new clown fish to cycle the tank again you can start fresh in 48 hours. (Any live fish go into qt, or back to lfs)

So like tear tank down get new ls n lr. Fill tank with bleech water let run a cpl hrs empty fill with decloranated water let run few hrs drain wipe dry and than start over. I'm still going need get like a 15 g to house the shrimp and hermits n snails in for the moment.

So like tear tank down get new ls n lr. Fill tank with bleech water let run a cpl hrs empty fill with decloranated water let run few hrs drain wipe dry and than start over. I'm still going need get like a 15 g to house the shrimp and hermits n snails in for the moment.

Go for it. Order dr Tim's one and only, I used it and had a very rapid cycle with ls and lr and just a sailfin Molly to cycle.

Also-- ask your lfs to hold some of your inverts-- they should be able to

Can I go buy a sepreate 15g tank and do fish in cycle with a pair of clowns. I'm not impatient person or trying to rush. I have a 4 1/2 year old with cancer and our time given isn't 3 mons and all he wants is his memo. I have a thread about it.

Yes, you can do this. as mentioned in prior reply, add a Cycle type bacteria additive.

I do clean all gravel vacs out after using with vinager.

to my knowledge, Vingar does nothing to sterilize, it only helps remove algae and other debris.

Also should corals get Q when you get them?

Everything "should" be quarentined, your corals should be placed into a "Fishless" QT as you can not treat with copper so they need to be placed into a fallow tank for the quarentine period of 30 days or more.

TIP: if you increase the Temp of the QT (and your display tank while fallow) to around 82 degrees it will speed up the Ich/marine Velvet cycle to help insure it will be gone by the end of the quarentine period. If you have corals in the display tank, you may not be able to do this or you may need to remove them as some do not like such high temps,

Back
Top Bottom