Cool fish for 55gallon fish only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angeleyes2325

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone have any cool fish that would fit into a 55 gallon fish only tank? I'm picky in the fact that I like unique fish not one that everyone has lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you tell me a little about him?

The Marine Betta is always intrigued me. I've never had one but if I ever go back to FOLR it's on my list!

He is a sharpnose puffer (so likes to eat inverts) but I did keep some large banded trochus and conch snails that he left alone. No shrimp or crabs tho, he would eat those ;) has loads of personality and will eat from your hand. I believe other sharpnose puffers will do this too (like valentini ones)

Well, if you're up for the challenge, a mandarin dragonet is a fun choice. Also, there are a number of gobies that look cool, and for a 55 gallon. For example, neon goby, watchman goby, firefish. I also set up a 55 gal., and creating a stock list that was cool yet functioned was a challenge, but the end result was a fun, full list.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

The Marine Betta is always intrigued me. I've never had one but if I ever go back to FOLR it's on my list!

Sometimes we should look into why things are considered reef safe or not. I have a marine betta in my 55 reef tank. Really cool fish. They eat crabs and shrimp, so I just don't keep any. The only downfall to this beautiful fish is that it is really shy. From the only other one I've had contact with, it appears that they aren't so shy that they hide all the time when they get much bigger...but mine is still only the size of my thumb. Only thing I would reconsider for it would be tank mates. These guys feed slow and a much faster coral beauty doesn't let it eat as much as it could.

Spinning off the previous comment i ABSOLUTELY LOVE LOVE LOVE my valentini puffer ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407209127.807202.jpg super basic, hardy, omnivore, gets along with everyone (as long as hes well fed)

Yea he belongs in a all predator tank no reef

Yea he belongs in a all predator tank no reef

Why? I doubt it would go after corals. You'd just have to limit your shrimp, snail and crab populations.

He will eat everything plants snails corals u name it it's gone he's a bad boy

Keep it a softy tank :p
I like to live dangerously through "with caution" fish :)

Yeah corals are big no! Ive even seem him go after a fake one i had in there! But hes never bugged my shrimp or crabs he likes the peck at the snails though

Back
Top Bottom