Copper Contaminated Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoctorKewl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i had a problem with ick when i first got into this hobby and i bought $500 of live rock previous to this and well I didnt know about copper and it kill all inverts and contaminating live rock and all and dosed my tank with a product containing copper. my question is : will this rock ever be good again or is it ruined??? It isn't in my tank anymore, i took it out and had to start over. Any ideas on this problem?

From what I understand, the rock is no good anymore. Especially if you ever want invert. The bacteria inside may have been killed, depending on the strength of the copper produce.
Test the water that contains the rock to see if there is detectable ammonia.
Honestly, I think the rock is shot. If it killed all you inverts, it probably killed the rock too.
Sorry... :(

im not sure there might be a clever way to fix that but im sorry i dont know a way off hand. u might have some really bad luck but im not sure... if there is a way im sure it will be long and painful but at the same time its better than spending another 500 bucks

I would put some of the rock in a bucket of water for a couple days then get a copper test kit and test the water.... this would at least give you an idea if any copper leached out into the water.

The rock and the tank will really never be safe for inverts. Are you still using the same tank? Copper sinks into the silicone of tanks and the rocks will have the same problems.

wish i lived closer to you cause i would love to test this theory ! i would take the rock from you ! even though the inverts in the rock are prob all dead ya still have some base rock at least !! and over time with more lr it will become live again ! and i disagree with cgrguy ya will be able to have inverts in your tank for sure !! ill place money on it !! both my 55's have had copper in them and snails cleaner shrimp ect are all fine :) just dont dose copper again :)

Back
Top Bottom