Coral banded cat shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is with people having a coral banded shark in a 90 gallon tank? Would the shark even be able to live?

They want something that is cool, so they think sharks are cool. They don't think of the animal at all.

I see tanks all the time that are not taken care of, or the poor fish can't even swim an inch. Most sites say 180 gallon is good for just one of them. I think that's a good tank size as I seen fully grown ones at the Newport Aquarium. They get big, but not huge. a 180 gallon tank with just one of them, and hardly any tank mates would be fine. I personally don't want to keep a shark unless I know I can house it with at least a 1000 gallon or more. A tank that is only 6 foot in swim space is not really enough. The depth of a tank is not the issue, it's the horizontal swim space. I heard 2 to 3 feet of depth is fine for them so long as they got enough room to swim and turn around.

Ya I saw people having them and I got all excited about it. But then you think about it and it's like how do you expect them to live? I wish I could but maybe in the future with a much larger tank

also they need a round tank because of their swim patterns they can not have corners and i wouldn't put any shark in less then 300 gallons hope his helps good luck

An easy way to get a Shark tank, is to get the pools from Wal-Mart and fill that up (The ones that cost 300 dollars or more, with the plastic supports). Only downside is you could only look from the top of the tank. But it gives them plenty of swim space and it's round. Another thing I would be worried about is how flimsy the pool would be.

I would do a custom shark tank only if I had a heated barn type of space. Separate from my main home, but still insulated and heated. I don't think it would be difficult to build one or to expensive. Just some plywood and concrete, only make it three foot deep. It's a dream, but might never happen. :p I would love some black-tip sharks, but I know they need a big swim space. I know of a shop that has a 40,000 gallon tank with three in it, and that even seems small for them. They went for depth thou, I would go for length and give them more swim space than depth.

Would you need to put sand in it? Also do they need any specific light?

CB24

Sand and Rock. The Sand is where most of your live bacteria would be, the Rock would just be for them to swim around. If I did build my shark tank, I would put Sand in the bottom of it. It would be like the tank at the New Port Aquarium. You can pet the sharks there, and they have a place to hide when they feel like they don't want to be bothered. My tank of course wouldn't be a petting zoo, but it would be the same design. Large open water tank with sand on the bottom and some live rock to swim in and out of. I would put the Bamboo Shark and Cat Shark into the tank. Being it would be big I would have about 3 each for a total of six sharks. I think it would be a cool project to have, and like I said, I don't think it would cost much.

If you referring to the pool idea, than yea! You would still need sand and some rocks for the sharks to hide in if they want. It would also help with the filtration.

So with* the pool idea...what exactly would I need?

Is sand absolutely needed? Or could I just throw some rocks in

Yes, sand is absolutely needed. With both the bamboo shark and the cat shark they "require sand as the substrate as the abdomen is easily scratched by a coarser substrate, which may lead to an infection" (liveaquaria.com).

A pool bottom wouldn't be suitable for them, because it would be hard.

Also you would require what any aquarium requires. Filters, a Skimmer, Live Rock, Sand. I would build a sump out of a Large tub. It wouldn't be cheap, cheap. Lighting would only need to be normal lighting as your not growing coral.

This would be more of a dream but you never know haha

May seem like a dumb question but would they pop an inflatable pool?

I'm not saying this size but would this type of pool work?

Attachments

• image-4094844652.jpg
    image-4094844652.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 109
I was thinking more like this

Heritage Round 12' x 36'' Metal-Walled Swimming Pool - Walmart.com

It's a lot stronger and has a port hole to view into. If you were to do something like this, I would find a place that could take your sharks off your hands fast and in a hurry if an emergency happened and the pool breaks. Plus, I wouldn't be putting this in the basement of a home. This would be an outside project in a barn in case of failure. So a good heater and possibly a chiller would be necessary. So when it is all said and done, the tank might be cheap, but everything else won't be. Like I said, I would just make sure that you had someone that could care for all your sharks in case the thing breaks, before you even start the project or buy the sharks.

Ya I would run so many test to just make sure everything works before I even think about getting one.

What would be a good size in diameter for a coral banded shark? Like how
Many feet

Back
Top Bottom