Coral lighting question *title changed*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quixand

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys quick question.

I have a 30 gallon tall tank with approx 40lbs of live rock.
A couple turbo snails, 2 percula clowns, 1 yellow fin damsel, and a blue linkia seastar. I want to get the clowns some soft corals, but I currently am only running one single 10k fluorescent bulb.

My buddy suggest at a minimum upgrading to compact fluorescent unit for the anemones.

I want to keep the heat output to a minimum, and want to DIY it to save cash. Thoughts and or solutions appreciated.

Thanks

You have no alternative but to upgrade your lighting if you want an anemone. You will need a minimum of about 120-150 watts to successfully keep anything that a clownfish would think about hosting. Understand too, that it is a crap shoot getting a clown and anemone to form a relationship. It doesnt always happen and it is not required for the fish's happiness.

T-5 lighting would be do able, as would a MH pendant, as well as the mentioned CF.

Any recommendations for a DIY'er for CF? I'm guessing that would be my cheapest solution?

You dont need anemones, especially if you want corals later down the track.

I have a happy ocellaris gang that moves everywhere around the tank, compared to someone elses who stay in one spot (where the anemone is)

As Lisa said you might do all that for your anenome and the clown might ignore him. It happened to me as my clowns ignored my BTA and hosted a bubble coral and pagoda Cop coral. There is no guarantee.

CF, VHO?

So that puts me needing roughly 120 watts on a 30 gallon tanks?

Ouch.

Would I be better served doing AH Supply's 2x 96w CF DIY kit?

http://www.ahsupply.com/96watt.htm

It would give me moderate to high light output for corals, my only fear is weather or not I could rig it into a 24" hood.

I would probably go with one 12000k and one actinic if it all worked.

Sound good?

I have 192 watts PC over my 30 gal. and I get incredible coral growth and tons of coraline. PC does not have the same power to reach deeper water like MH. For that reason, I would go with 192 watts. IMO

Back
Top Bottom