cyano outbreak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hope you now have those fish in another tank cause this one sounds like it is going to cycle again. I'm not sure if you can clean the live rock and not have malachite green and formalin leaching into your tank for some time to come. The meds have killed the beneficial bacteria living in your rock and sand. The general consensus of other sites is to replace your live rock and sand cause this stuff is TOXIC to coral. I don't know what to tell you. You could take a chance, wash the live rock and start over with it, cross your fingers and hope for the best? Or start over with new live rock and sand. One warning though because i don't know how you would CLEAN the rocks... I would NOT boil live rock with formalin in it. Formalin is a pretty well known carcinogen. I strongly advise you against aerosolizing it in your house and then breathing in the fumes.

Bahhhhh

Thanks. I'll just order new rocks and sand. Really don't know where I'm going to put the fish. ;(

I guess I will figure something out

I feel so bad for you. Please research the facts for yourself before you take anyones advice verbatim. Nobody knows for sure how things would go. I found one thread that said he used quick cure and did several water changes and had no problems. But I found several articles where people lost entire tanks. I think the main lessons here are

1. Assume that you need to quarantine any fish showing signs of illness prior to treatment. Yes it is a pain but so is re-cycling your tank. And the cost of a 10 gallon quarantine tank with a cheap filter/pump and heater is less than the cost of replacing a bunch of livestock and buying meds. And way less traumatic.

2. Research, research, and research before you add anything to your tank.

You could watch the tank,change the water like crazy and keep a close eye on everything that You put in the tank. I really hope your fish end up healthy and the process goes easily for you. Good luck!

Thank you maya.
I'd rather not risk anything in the future so I might as well get the new rocks and sand now. lesson learned.. the hard way.

I spent all day preparing 2 10 gallon tanks (among other things). I'm thinking of putting 2 clowns in one and 3 green chromis in the other until my main tank recycles.

Can they last in there that long? I mean, won't those tanks cycle too? Easier to do PWC's though I guess.

I have found that the best thing to get rid of cyano in my 6ft reef is flow. Just move a power head or two or you may need to add more and you will clear it up in conjunction with pwc's, reduced feeding and lighting. It takes time, patience and perseverance! Good luck!

I will try that. It's growing back on the rocks again after the quick cure killed it. That was fast >.<

Back
Top Bottom