Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazilla

Aquarium Advice Regular
is it possible to have no "cycle" at all? maybe i got lucky or something? i have a 60g tank that i just switched to sw. i started by filling the tank with sw, then checked the salininty within a couple of hours and added the live sand. after it settled, i added the live rock(50lbs). four days later i added a couple of hermits, and 2 damsels. i checked the ph,alk,nitrite,nitrate,ammonia and all have been in the good range and stable. a few days later i added a yellow wrasse, all levels were still good. it's been about 3 weeks so far and everything has been great. i have not lost ANYBODY, and everybody is healthy vibrant and active. also i used tap water to fill the tank the first time, i added the water treatment to it of course. since i have used ro water only. this weekend i am goig to get another 20lb or so of live rock and add it to the tank. nect weekend i'm gonna take out the damsels and start adding my choice fish. does this sound like a good plan? did i get lucky that everything worked out, or is there more hype in how hard it actually is to get these things going?

SORRY FOR THE HIJACK :twisted:

You can have a short cycle if enough bacteria is added in the beginning, but I would go slowly on the new additions. One fish a month is usually good. I have heard of horror stories were when adding fish to quickly causes a crash and you loose everything. New addtitions also stresses the fish and stressed fish cause illness.You have to go very slowly!!!!!!

tmkx3 said:
One fish a month is usually good. I have heard of horror stories were when adding fish to quickly causes a crash and you loose everything. New addtitions also stresses the fish and stressed fish cause illness.You have to go very slowly!!!!!!

(y)

It is possible to start a tank and experience no cycle. When I started my 12gal and 2 1/2gal tanks, I used fully cured LR, established LS and water from my larger reef. I saw no cycle at all and added coral within days. to be safe, continue to add livestock slowly and check parameters daily.

thanks for the tips, i have checked levels daily and everything is still steady and in the "good" zone. ammonia is holding at 0. i removed the 2 damsels and added a roal gramma, that was on sunday. today i'm gonna add a marine betta; it's on sale becasue it has some scar tissue above the eyes. the lfs guy(fish guru for sure) explained the cause but i cant remember the name. it had to do with the previous owner using the wrong food. anywho they have had him since i started my tank, the scartissue is perfectly symetrical(and very small) on both sides, so a newbie like me and my idiot friends will have no clue it's not supposed to be like that. he said he has had it for a few months and he would let it go for $20.00 it's about 3.5-4" long. anybody have any words of advice about why i should'nt pick it up? oh, i have seen it eat frozen food so i know it's eating. it really is beautiful, and i would love to have it. thanks

i have seen stuff like that, and like this...i'm gonna find out for myself. nobodies buying the poor guy anyways, he looks awesome. the scar tissue is really very small, i dont see what all the fuss is about. not every fish in the ocean is perfect, i think it will add to the authenticity of what a reef would really look like, imo.

http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/marine-betta-calloplesiops-altivelis.html

I have had a marine betta for several years. That is indeed a good price on it. Mine is in my reef....I do not have shrimp so that isnt an issue. I have a few smaller fish and it has left them alone. They are a type of grouper though, so go into it with your eyes open. Make sure your fish are just bigger then it can eat.

Back
Top Bottom