cycling levels are not changing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ernie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have started a fish only saltwater tank and after about two weeks the LFS told me i could put some damsels in there because there hardy and can adapt so i did. I know now after reading that i should have not done that but i cant give them back and obviously dont have anywhere else to put them so im trying to finish cycling with them in there. My Nrites are off the chart for days now and there not coming down everything else was good but today my amm. started going back up. My two questions are should i be putting in chemicals like niteout on a daily basis to combat the levels and should i be doing pwc as the LFS told me i should not. The brown alge stuff showed up about four to five days ago and is getting worse but i believe thats ok and will eventually go away from what ive read.
Anyone with advice would be much appreciated as at this point i dont know if my tank is going in the right direction or not.

how much food are you adding to this tank? what size tank is it and how many fish are in it? how did you start the initial cycle 2 weeks ago?
damsels don't "adapt" to poison.

Last edited:
started it about two months ago and after two weeks i put three damsels in as the LFS told my i could its a 55 gallon feed them twice a day once a pinch of flakes and once a pinch of frozen brime again as advised by my LFS. should i do a pwc or just keep adding niteout or both or any other advice.

i don't even know what niteout is, but i would cut back the food, and do a water change also. every other day is plenty.

Back
Top Bottom