Dark red algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaileykari

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a twenty gallon with two clowns, one skunk cleaner shrimp, a few nazareth snails,
and two porcelain crabs. Having problems with dark red algae. It covers the rocks, then starts on the sand. I have light on maybe 6-8 hours a day, feed one frozen mysis shrimp cube every other day, 25 percent water change every 9-10 days.
When I do water changes, I try to get some algae off the rocks and sand, then in three or four days it comes back. Is there something else I can do? Thanks!

Sounds like cyano. Cyanobacteria is an indication of a nutrient problem in the water column. I would cut back on feeding minimally and 3 days a week. Siphon out the cyano that you can with some airline tubing and do water changes and water top offs with ro/di water since nitrates and phosphates can come in through tap water. Blacking out the tank for several days will assist as well, but will return until the nutrients it is feeding off of are removed.

Back
Top Bottom