Dead One Spot Rabbitfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Volitan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got a 55gal FOWLR which until recently has been inhabited by a young volitan and a steadily declining number of damsels. Four days ago I added a One Spot Foxface and he seemed to adjust well until he suddenly became ill and died this evening. I'm going out of town for the holidays and will wait to replace him until I'm back buy I'm looking for clues as to why he suddenly went under. Please let me in on any ideas you've got.

P.S. I've been a long time follower of the forum, but this is my first post. Nice to meet you all.

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbitfish. I just lost my foxface. Similar thing happened I am unsure as to why. Lets start by getting some information about your paramaters. What do your results say? How were you feeding?

Salinity 1.023
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0

Everything appears to be in check. The temp was hovering around 80 which is a little warmer than I try to keep it.

Edit:
For feeding I was providing dry algae strips on a lettuce clip in addition to fairly healthy algae growth on the backwall and live rock.

I assume from my experience everything seems fine. Maybe the salinity is a little low I keep mine around 1.025-1.026 but mines a reef in progress. Mabye someone else can chime in as to why we lost our foxfaces

I acclimated by slowly replacing the water in the bag with tank water over about half hour. As for tank size I know this one is too small, I'm currently putting together a 125 which I will move the contents of this tank into during the spring.

Do you have any pics from shortly after you released him? It's been my experience with foxface and tangs that they are often emaciated when you get them, and may have been on the decline when you got him. These groups of fish graze constantly, and if he wasn't properly fed before you got him, they are really hard to get fattened back up. They are also a bit flighty and take a little while to get adjusted to captivity.

There are so many possibilities that it is hard to nail down one reason why the fish unexpectedly died. I don't think I would attribute it to acclimation. Could be, but not my first guess.

Sometimes you get a fish that has a weakened immune system from previous shipping/transport. Then you pop him in a new tank after acclimation and whammo.....the nail in the coffin. A virus or disease gets the better of him and he is gone.

I personally only buy fish that I am certain of health. I will give you an example. I have a local fish guy that had 2 fourspot butterfly in his tanks. I hadn't adding anything in a year to my display. I watched these fish over the course of three visits and a solid month--I put a deposit on one. After a month of watching them, I was sure they were strong. They were Hawaiian and at the point that they were constantly searching for food. The minute a pellet hit the water, they were on it like their butts were on fire. That's what I look for in a candidate for my tank. Mystery fish on a whim have cost me a lot of money in the past. I know it's tough, but the best way you can assure success is to have an LFS that will work with you to take the time and make sure you are getting healthy, clean, and strong fish.

Back
Top Bottom