diatoms!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell2002

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
WE HAVE DIATOMS!!! lol, ok, i know its part of the process and they will go away. But whats the next step? when they're gone does that mean my tank is cycled? or is it still a chemical waiting game?
thanks, rob

As far as (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the cycle isnt completed until your ammonia and nitrite spikes and then goes back downt to 0... how long did it take for the diatoms to pop up for you? Im asking because im also cycling my tank.

well actually, today makes day 8. They just started to cover some sand and a couple rocks! I think you're right about the numbers though...ammo 0, niitrites 0, and nitrates around 20 and under?!

Diatoms are not unusual in a new tank but are not any clear indication of a cycled tank. The numbers you cite for water parameters are ideal for a cycled tank. I am curious as to how you cycled your tank in just 8 days? Did you use media from a previously cycled tank? Also, what are you using to test your water? It's seems too soon for your tank to be completely cycled.

I'm sorry, my tank isnt cycled yet! I know this, those numbers are the ones i know im aiming for!!! lol

I'm sorry, my tank isnt cycled yet! I know this, those numbers are the ones i know im aiming for!!! lol

Cool, I was just a little confused. As for diatoms, you can physically remove them when performing water changes (although while doing a cycle you really don't have any need for water changes). I know that they can be a eyesore, but they are for the most part harmless, imo.

BTW, I may come off sounding like a sales rep for API, but I strongly recommend their freshwater master kit for testing your water. I made the mistake of using those test strips once while trying to cycle one of my tanks only to found out later that I had severely overdosed the tank with ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom