Difference in salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never read it, but probably has the basic concepts. I wish I could tell you more about it, but don't know much about it.

Well I appreciate what you have said! I'm so excited to start my salt adventure even though I'm still a couple months away. My fiancée and I are moving in two months and once we move then I'm going to set it up. So until then I'm just going to read a lot, watch for sales, and stock up on stuff!!

I just spent the $60 dollars on the Instant Ocean big Salt box. It suppose to do 200 gallons of Salt Water. I do about 5 to 10 gallons water changes every week and I have had my box of salt for about two months now. The box comes with 4 bags of Salt in it, and I used the first bag up setting my tank up. I made 55 gallons of water with one bag using about 1/2 cup of salt per gallon.

The IO box has so much salt for mixing I don't think I will need to buy more salt for the next six months. It's differently worth the $60 (Might find it cheaper online) dollars it cost to buy the BIG box. They have a bucket that does 160 gallons but for ten dollars more I got the box and an extra 40 gallons of salt mix.

Also, I have read a lot of books and the advice they give you compared to the advice you get here can contradict one another. So you got to take what works for you, not to say both are not right. An example would be the Yellow Tang. A lot of websites say recommended tank size is 55 gallons and so does a lot of books. Some people here will tell you no tang should be in a tank that is only four foot in length. Some websites will tell you a 100 gallon tank minimal, but almost all the people I talked too outside of this forums says a 55 is fine because of their body shape not being torpedo shaped like other tangs are.

So like I said, you got to do what works best for you and your set up. You will get a lot of advice, and 90% of it will be good advice! I had so much help setting up my first 29 gallon tank, and than transferring it over to a 55. Because of this website and the information I researched my tank is successful (So Far).

When it comes to Salt, it goes without saying that it depends. If all your doing is a FOWLR tank than the cheaper stuff at pet smart might be ok, but if you are doing more and a reef than I would go with a better brand.

Same thing with what water to use. A lot of people I know use their tap water and has had their tanks set up for YEARS without any issues. I myself use Reverse Osmosis water that I buy at my local Kroger and I than mix it. It's cheap and I think it has really helped my tank! I suggest you do the same, just get yourself some 5 gallon buckets from your hardware store and get your water at your supermarket. I pay $2 dollars for 5 gallons of R/O water.

Also, I don't know what size tank you are planning, but remember Bigger is easier! I wouldn't do anything smaller than a 29 for your first Saltwater tank, a 75 gallon would be great, and really not cost too much more. I say I spent about $1200 for everything when I started my 29 gallon, and if I had to do it all over I would have started out bigger. :p Most of the equipment I bought can handle a tank higher than a 75, the only thing I would had to spend more money on would have been a bigger filter (I would do sump tank now that I know they are better), and more rock. I bought 55 pounds of live rock for around $260, for a 75 I would
only have spent around 100 more to get 75 pounds. My LFS will sale their rock at $4.99 per pound when you buy more than 50 pounds at one time, I don't know if any other places do that. Overall I think I would have only spent about $300 more for a 75 vs the 29 I set up. Would have opened the door for a lot more options of fish. My 55 opened the door for me to have 3 more fish than the 4 I had in my 29.

Sorry for the long post. :p
Good luck and have fun!

Well that's for all that! I'm planning on keeping a 10 gallon with dwarf seahorses! I am going to go with the instant ocean because I'm sure it is better and I'm going to buy a tds meter and find the best water around me!

Well that's for all that! I'm planning on keeping a 10 gallon with dwarf seahorses! I am going to go with the instant ocean because I'm sure it is better and I'm going to buy a tds meter and find the best water around me!

It's hard to keep stable parameters for a 10 gallon especially if you're a beginner. It's so small and doesn't have much room for error like if you add too much salt or a snail dies etc. it's possible, but starting off with a larger tank is going to have less consequences and probably less frustrating. Dwarf seahorses should not be for a beginner. They need to be fed live brine shrimp daily (more than once a day is better), and require pristine water. Feeding so much, a lot of waste could accumulate and cause nitrate problems. Little fluctuations in temperature, salinity, etc. can be sometimes fatal. Start easy with sw first and think about the dwarf seahorses down the road. It's a demanding and fragile fish.

Well my concern is I would like to keep dwarf seahorses and they will be hurt from the hydroids because when feeding so many live brine shrimp, the hydroids go crazy. I just am just trying to make sure I avoid them at all costs.
You are not going to get hydroids from premixed water, no matter what.

KatieKontak said:
I'll definitely look into that book. That sounds really good. Have you ever read or heard anything about the salt water for dummies book? Lol.

My brother gave me a freshwater and saltwater mini reef edition of that book series. They're surprisingly useful and they can be found for around $5 used on Amazon. It's definitely worth the modest cost and it should have plenty of info to get you started, but they're not on the same level as the Delbeck and Sprung books. I actually recommend the Dummy series to get an introduction. The Reef books are more for actual reef tanks.

I do plan on doing reef eventually so id like to have that book. But I'm glad someone did read that other book!! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom