Dirty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monroe10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been fighting a hair algae problem for awhile now and I have it under control for the most part. But now I have a brown color looking stuff in my sand (I'm color blind). What is it and what do I do?

Tank has been up for like 5 months got 3 triggers and a wrasse

I have been fighting a hair algae problem for awhile now and I have it under control for the most part. But now I have a brown color looking stuff in my sand (I'm color blind). What is it and what do I do?

Tank has been up for like 5 months got 3 triggers and a wrasse

Have you checked your phosphate levels? Keep in mind that even small Triggers produce a lot of waste. I would he concerned with your nitrate and phosphate levels. If you have elevated phosphate levels you should be running phosgard to reduce levels. What is your water change schedule?

Does it look anything like this? I noticed you mentioned 5 months, this is what happened to me after 3-5 months.

image-4141381833.jpg

Diatoms. I remember freaking out when I saw it too. It's said to be normal after the cycle has completed. It's supposed to go away by itself after a month or two but I used a product called "kent marine tank clarifier" got rid of it in a week.

image-884195693.jpg

I think I might wait it out, I'm at school and I can't really afford too much stuff at the moment hahah

I got a small conch for mine, it's cool and eats that's stuff quick.

Eat diatoms

Attachments

• image-304375587.jpg
    image-304375587.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 122
I think the best thing for sand is a goby. Ever since I got my gold headed goby my live sand has been looking pristine.

I want to get them but I have an aggressive tank right now, I am planning on this summer trading my fish to go to a community tank

image-3432323967.jpg

image-1409352657.jpg

This is what it looks like and the other is that hair algae I was talking about

I'd be more concerened about the hair algae. Do you have corals? If not try a black out for a day or two. It should slow down the hair algae growth. That stuff can get out of control pretty easily. The diatoms will go away on there own and they don't even look that bad in your tank to be honest.

It was out of control, I took the rocks out slowly and cleaned them (sure it's not good but it worked) so try an day or two?

When I finished my cycle I had a forest growing so I turned my lights out for three days and on the fourth slowly started turning them back on a few hours a day till eventually I got to the 9hrs a day now. I will slow its growth allowing any crabs or snails to get ahead of its growth. You have fish correct? Is your tank in a well lit room? You should be able to get away with it. Next thing is figuring out why you have so much in the first place. You have an aggressive tank correct? Probaly messy eaters. Either lessen what you feed or do more water changes its the only way to control the nutrients that feed it. Hope that this helps a bit. :)

Yes it is an aggressive tank, and yes it is in a decently lit room

Back
Top Bottom