does anyone have expierience with horseshoe crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamCurtis07

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking at making a purchase of a horseshoe crab.. but im not sure about care level needed or even what they eat!

I agree they get massive. Up to 2 ft long in the wild and unless u have a swimming pool for a tank they will quickly out grow just about any tank out there.

I have one I bought almost a year ago at the size of a nickle just about size of a quarter now.. does a great job stirring my sand once its gets bigger I will sell it back and get another... I know poeple say leave ut but I wont go without one now.. there is members in this forum who do the same thing..

Some people like them, but for best care you really should have a tank with a monstrous footprint and a one foot sand bed for when they get two feet long. I know someone who has one who never sees it and he said that it doesn't do anything to his sand it just sits under a rock. They also bulldoze rocks over when larger and are extremely clumsy and strong. I was looking into getting one and probably won't but if you get one get a male they will stay much smaller. Hope this helps.
Chris

Actually its been on my experince once they get about the size of a silver dollar within the home aquarium they don't borrow and more that's when they stay on top of sand and yesyour right at a larger size they will move rock... I don't recommend keeping one much past the 2 inch in diameter. They will start coming out and get pushed around by the power heads and knock over frags..

Back
Top Bottom