Dosing vinegar as organic carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been reading allot about this method .
Has anyone used this ?
It all seams good but I would like to hear advantages and what to watch for before trying it .

I'm currently using vinager, I've been using it for quite awhile. I switched over from vodka because its alot cheaper. It's keeping my nitrates at or close to zero.

I'm currently using vinager, I've been using it for quite awhile. I switched over from vodka because its alot cheaper. It's keeping my nitrates at or close to zero.

I have been reading and very interested in using this method .
Changing water on a weekly basis is ok but is I still needed as often ?
I am a little concerned with any additives though .
I have a 70 gal with approx 50 - 70 lbs of rock and 40 lbs of sand .
How much would I start dosing with ?
Do you does 1/2 twice a day ?
Do you use kalc ?

Just make sure you follow the chart to a tee and you shouldn't have any problems. If you should notice anything wrong either stop dosing or cut back on the amount.If you forget one day do not double dose the next day just continue with the regular dose.

I originally read the article on the vodka method after researching different alternative ways to reduce nitrate .
Vodka seams like something I don't want to add to my tank but vinegar seamed to be a little safer ,
Have you had good results ?
How often do you change your water ?
I am sure there are pros and cons and different things to watch for and this was the reason for starting this thread .
It sounds like a good method .

It is also recommended to have a good skimmer .
I have a coralife 125
Hang on .
I am concerned if I need to use kalc in addition to vinegar .

I originally read the article on the vodka method after researching different alternative ways to reduce nitrate .
Vodka seams like something I don't want to add to my tank but vinegar seamed to be a little safer ,
Have you had good results ?
How often do you change your water ?
I am sure there are pros and cons and different things to watch for and this was the reason for starting this thread .
It sounds like a good method .
There's not really a problem with doing vodka I did it for months I just switched because it was much cheaper.My nitrates went from over 100 to zero. I do 20% water changes maybe every 3 weeks.

Also I did neglect to tell you that you need a skimmer to do this

I have a skimmer .
Like I said .
It's a coralife 125 hang on .
It seams to work well and getting dark brown skimmate from it .
I forgot to mention to you this tank has been running for a few months and I still haven't added any fish .
I cycled with raw shrimp and have a shrimp in there still . I want to be nitrate lower then 20ppm before I add anything .

even a little higher then 20ppm is ok for fish below 20 would be if you wanted to add corals.

Back
Top Bottom