DSB or no DSB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digger

Aquarium Advice Regular
The more I read about setting up sumps, the more confused I get.

My questions...

DSB or no DSB?

Filter sock on sump inlet or not?

I think I've decided on a sump/refugium with LR rubble and some chaeto.

Also will feed the fuge seperately in order to control the water flow through it.

What do ya'll think?

The DSB is really up to you. I like have a DSB in my sump. The issue with DSBs is that they can release some nasty anaerobic compounds into your system. With the DSB in the sump, it's really not much of an issue.

Some folks use filter socks, some don't. Mine were getting a pain to clean so now I just siphon out the junk as it settles in my sump.

Good call on the LR rubble and chaeto.

What do you mean by feeding the fuge seperately to control flow?

I will bring an inlet to the fuge section with a tee and a ball valve. I didn't want the full drain amount of my overflow going through the fuge.

Both is personal preferances. I wouldnt do any deep sand bed because i have other resources that serve the same purposes. I would definitely use filter socks because they are great mechanical filters.

Both is personal preferances. I wouldnt do any deep sand bed because i have other resources that serve the same purposes. I would definitely use filter socks because they are great mechanical filters.

What "other resources"? Please enlighten me, Sir.

Live rocks would serve the same purpose and rubble in the sump would too.

I dont know which one is more effective, but the rocks seem easier to own after reading about both.

I keep live rock rubble in the bottom of my wet/dry. I have a filter pad at the top of the filter and a sponge filter that separates the sump. Keep my heater and skimmer in the sump on the other end of my sump. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom