Dwarf lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any fish that does not fit inside it's mouth. It's got to be bigger than the Lion Fish.

I mean it's got to be Bigger! Not just as big, because a Lion Fish can eat a big fish, believe it or not. Also, from all the research I did, if a Lion Fish is the last in the Tank, they usually leave the other fish alone.

in that size tank i would do a species tank only or maybe a healthy sized toby puffer because alot of fish larger then a lion fish are wayy to large for a 40 breeder hope this helps and good luck

Yeah with a dwarf lion I would go with toby puffer too! or just look into nice coral in th etank and species only

I have a Blue Spotted puffer. He was fine in my 30 gallon, no problems. He had plenty of swimming space, and was healthy. Liveaquaria.com says they should be in a 50 gallon tank, but I have found that site to be overly cautious with their tank requirements.

My guy is in a 55 gallon now, but I had no issues with him in a 29 gallon tank. Also remember the Lion Fish will produce a lot of waste. So a good skimmer is in order!! I think with them two fish, you should be fine. If that's all you do. I would put the Puffer in first!!

I got the Reef Octopus BH-1000. I think there is a BH-100 or something, that's a little smaller for a 40 gallon tank. The thing is a hang on the back skimmer, but it's big! It works great.

I am sure they would be ok, but anytime your putting predators in with one another your taking a chance. I would put whatever fish you want in first than the Lionfish last. I was going to do a Lionfish in my 29 gallon tank, but ended up choosing not too because I wanted more fish in my tank than just 1 or 2. As long as the Puffer is the first one in the tank, you should be fine. Anything added after that will become food. Again it's all a chance you will be taking. Here is the skimmer I would recommend.

Amazon.com: Coral Vue Technology AC20197 Octopus Hang-On Back Skimmer for Aquarium Filter, 75-Gallon: Pet Supplies

This is the one I have and it's awesome!!

Amazon.com: CoralVue Technology BH-1000 Octopus with External 1000 Pump for Aquarium Filter, 100-Gallon: Pet Supplies

A lot of videos online on how to use the BH-1000. Helpful being the instructions it comes with sucks. :p

Maybe go with a Six Line Wrasse as well, get the biggest one you can find. Put him in after the puffer, than Lionfish last. Just to add a little more to your tank. I wouldn't go beyond that!!

I got the Reef Octopus BH-1000. I think there is a BH-100 or something, that's a little smaller for a 40 gallon tank. The thing is a hang on the back skimmer, but it's big! It works great.

I am sure they would be ok, but anytime your putting predators in with one another your taking a chance. I would put whatever fish you want in first than the Lionfish last. I was going to do a Lionfish in my 29 gallon tank, but ended up choosing not too because I wanted more fish in my tank than just 1 or 2. As long as the Puffer is the first one in the tank, you should be fine. Anything added after that will become food. Again it's all a chance you will be taking. Here is the skimmer I would recommend.

Amazon.com: Coral Vue Technology AC20197 Octopus Hang-On Back Skimmer for Aquarium Filter, 75-Gallon: Pet Supplies

This is the one I have and it's awesome!!

Amazon.com: CoralVue Technology BH-1000 Octopus with External 1000 Pump for Aquarium Filter, 100-Gallon: Pet Supplies

A lot of videos online on how to use the BH-1000. Helpful being the instructions it comes with sucks. :p

Maybe go with a Six Line Wrasse as well, get the biggest one you can find. Put him in after the puffer, than Lionfish last. Just to add a little more to your tank. I wouldn't go beyond that!!

I could do the puffer and six line wrasse same time then lionfish?

Puffer first, wait a few days, Six line wrasse, wait a week or two. Than go with the Lionfish. You give your tank mates time to establish a territory, plus you got to let the bio-load build up. Slow wins the race!

Puffer first, wait a few days, Six line wrasse, wait a week or two. Than go with the Lionfish. You give your tank mates time to establish a territory, plus you got to let the bio-load build up. Slow wins the race!

What would you reccomend size wise?
How about
3" puffer
Full grown sixline
3" lionfish

To start?

Size won't matter, as they will grow. I would get the biggest Puffer you can find (In the toby class) and the biggest Sixline you can find. The Lionfish will be ok. Anything that can't fit into it's mouth.

Lionfish like to perch so make sure you got a lot of live rock for him to sit on. Also you will have to whine him/her over to frozen food. That will take some work, but what you can do is get a pair of feeding tongs and some Silver Sides or Krill (Very his diet so he will not get board with his food :). So just like fishing, you will dangle it in front of him in hopes he will eat it. Live Ghost Shrimp is fine for a while, DO NOT FEED HIM LIVE GOLD FISH!! Freshwater food is bad for him, and it will not sit well in his stomach. So as soon as you get him over to frozen foods the better (thawed out of course). They are really not that mean of fish, but again I just didn't have time to feed a lionfish like I needed too. So I went a different route, plus I wanted more colorful fish!! :p The Lion fish is a real cool fish, and if you can keep him healthy, you should have a great fish. The Sixline is also a good looking fish, and helps in keeping pest down in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom