easy fowlr tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I live right on the beach could I take my ten gallon and get some live sand and some live rock out of a tank from the store and then go get some seawater and fill my tank with that and then be fish ready? And then every time I need to do a water change I could just use seawater?

You could but you take a big chance of getting pollution and parasites in your tank.

Ahh. But would the salt mix be right? And do I need powerheads or is a HOB sufficient for a nano

As far as the SW mix it would depend on how close you are to a river emptying into the SW body. I personally would not do it but that`s just me. You`ll need at least one PH.

Go take a Refractometer and test the ocean water. The water would be OK since millions of fish live in it and the ocean is very good at circulation. Your basically getting water from the environment we all are trying to imitate anyway.

Yeah but I was jw because I'm not gonna keep wild fish, I'm gonna keep much less hardy captive bred fish.(most likely they'll be CB)

Captive bred are more hardy to different conditions, and seawater will most likely work. I've used seawater to fill both my tanks, since it's much easier to do this, and no bad effects have happened yet. I do have a bucket of salt though, just in case something happens. I've even used sand from the ocean because it looks better than the ones you buy from the store IMO.

Yeah it will be fine but you will probably need more GPH if you want to have a reef.

Back
Top Bottom