eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im thinking about getting a eel for my tank. Anybody have any experince with them? Right now I have a Dwarf lion and a pearlscale.. If I put a eel in will that limit the amount of space for other fish like a dwarf angel and a tang for later? Also do the eels go after you when you put your hand in the tank? TIA

I do not have a lot of experience keeping eels. From what I can see it will work in your tank. The most important thing is make sure you have a weel sealed hood. They have been known to escape.

I agree an eel will work in your tank. I keep one with a dwarf lion right now and they get along fine. The eels are pretty reclusive except when hungry. Don't expect to see them much. Mine doesn't pay me any mind at all except when he knows there is food involved. Granted, with the lion in the tank, my hands aren't in the tank much anyway. And like already mentioned, be sure to have a secure top.

Thanks guys.. With an eel would I still be able to add a tang and a dwarf angel? Or would that be too much for the bio load?

What type of eel are you considering? You would do well with a snowflake, jewel or any of the other small eels that only get around 2'. Then, you wouldn't need to worry about any of the fish you are considering.

Thanks guys.. With an eel would I still be able to add a tang and a dwarf angel? Or would that be too much for the bio load?

I had a snowlfake eel in a 55g with a tang and a clownfish. Granted, this would not have been great in the long run because the yellow tang needs at least a 75g when full grown. Anyways, a 90g is a good size for those tankmates. The snowflake eel is a good aquarium choice. They are very hardy (I've even heard of one person who got a snowflake eel as a hitchiker in live rock!) . I can't stress enough though about making sure you have a sealed hood. I was running a emperor 400 filter when I had him and he swam up into the thing then popped his head out to look at me before getting back in the aquarium. They can squeeze through spaces half their size! Mine wasn't that reclusive you could always see him somewhere and he would often swim around the tank. Feeding time was a real crowd pleaser too.

I think you'll be ok bioload wise if
you get a small species and increase your liverock by about another 80lbs.

I do plan on getting more live rock down the road. My main concern is when I do get some cured LR I dont want to put it in the tank and lose a finger tip or two...LOL

img_340421_0_80c3b07aeb34f3fc936da1bf0be1def6.jpg

img_340421_1_52cb75ce210ea32a9786a5bda9ea47d4.jpg

I have had my snowflake for about 4 months now and he is awesome. He eats rite out of my hand and is very careful not to bite me and only take the food. When they get comfortable in a tank they move around a lot but you usually never see their whole body they usually just sneak around in the rocks. Another thing is as someone already mentioned they are very hardy. This eel has been through a lot and he is still healthy.

Does the eel bother you when you put you hand in the tank? Right now Im looking at a snowflake that is about 6 inch. If I do get him I still want to put a dwarf angel some kind of a tang and MAYBE a wrasse.

I have four large morays in my tank, I am not afraid to put my hand in the tank. I think if you are fearful, you should not get the eel. All you need is respect for it and its habits and it works out fine.

My snowflake never bothered me once when I worked in the tank. Some people hand feed them when they are that small, although I don't recommend it because they will learn that your hand in the tank means food for them. I used a feeding stick.

I have one that is about a foot long and he is great. They are really smart. They will find the holes that you never knew existed. Its a pig and eats everything. Great pets to have.

Matt

you can add lots more to your tank. I have a huge snowflake eel in my 92 gal. 1 maroon clown, 3 tangs, 1 angel, 1 huge panther grouper, corals, mushrooms, etc.. My snowflake will not attack your hand in the tank unless you have food in it. My wife learned the hard way. She was talking on the phone while feeding a frozen cube to eel's tankmates not pay much attention. The eel must have been very hungry and went after the food in her hand thinking it was a shrimp intended for him. He chomped down pretty hard on her finger slicing it open. That was the last time she talked on the phone while feeding our fish!

you can add lots more to your tank. I have a huge snowflake eel in my 92 gal. 1 maroon clown, 3 tangs, 1 angel, 1 huge panther grouper, corals, mushrooms, etc..

I do not agree that he can add "lots more" to the tank. I agree that he has room for some fish but it all depends what he decides to put in there and what type of filtration, skimmer etc. There is not alot of live rock in his description and high nitrates will become a problem with the wet/dry. I would consider your tank overstocked.

Back
Top Bottom