Emerald Crab Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have 6 emerald crabs that I introduced to my 450g FOWLR tank. There is about 380 lbs of LR in this tank.

At first these crabs were very lively and not at all timid.

After several weeks I realized that they have started to withdraw. There is no sign of them anymore. I thought they were all dead somewhere in the rocks but I caught a glimpse of one the other day.

There aren't any aggressive fish in there with them (blue angel, mono, clowns, yellow tang, foxface). There are some small snails and some dwarf blue-legged hermits.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Thanks,
Peter R.

Hara said:
sounds like normal behaviour to me..

So it is normal for them to be outgoing (basically they were all over the place) when first introduced to a tank and then they tend to get shy?

Thanks!

Mine did the same thing. They were exploring and eating off of the rock when first introduced. they have since become shy.

They probably already cleaned up the visible areas and are now working on "nooks and crannies"

Same thing in my 46g tank. I had one crab that walked around the tank perimeter on his "tippie-toes" for like a week, facing the glass. It was the coolest thing. :) Now I have to search hard everytime I look in the tank to see if I can find one of them. LOL. Ah well....

Mine just went to the rock and hid For the longest time I thought they had died until I moved some rock around and poof there they were. Now on rare occasion I see them out and about on the rock.

Back
Top Bottom