Fast cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddm_aet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently cycling a 30 gallon cube
the plan is to transfer some corals and fish from a 35 gallon tank i have set up to this tank but first i'm going to put an anenome in.

4" dsb
50 lbs of partly cured live rock; i was curing 50 lbs for another tank but then this project came up so i put it in there.
remora pro with preskimmer box and rio 1400 (read on here after i hooked it up that the rio is not that good of a pump)
(2) maxijet 1200 ph for circulation (with magnetic holders AWESOME!! no more suction cups to fail)
new 2006 odyssey 213 watt HQI (2) 24 watt 03 actinic pc, and moon lights
might install a hang on refugium if i have the space.

i was going to add a shrimp or two but figured with the partly cured live rock that there should be more die off to kick start a cycle, also some blue legged hermit crabs got in there from a piece of LR i added out of another tank of mine.

Put everything together got temp up to 76, sg 1.025, and ph to 8.2
let it cycle for a week then tested
0's across the board for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate

two weeks after setup tested again ammonia and nitrite 0
nitrate 10
did my tank cycle?
What should i do next?

Sounds like it's cycled. Yay! My sw tank cycled in about 2-3 weeks as well. I used the liverock and livesand method.

Next, I'd do a water change to try and minimize those nitrates, make sure your levels don't flucuate, and then slowly add livestock.

the plan is to transfer some corals and fish from a 35 gallon tank i have set up to this tank but first i'm going to put an anenome in.

It is not advisable to put an anemone in an unseasoned tank. General guidelines are to wait for a year before doing so.

It does sound like your tank has cycled. I am sure the LR helped out. When I started my nano reef, I used all cured LR and mostly LS from various tanks and had no cycle what-so-ever. The best bet is to add one fish and begin feeding slowly. Keep an eye on water parameters for a change. I agree with Hara in that you need to wait several months before attempting an anemone. they do require very stabel and consitant tanks that only come with time. Good luck!

thanks for the advice,
i'm going to do a water change to drop the nitrates.
i wanted to add an anenome because i have a pair of black perculas in the tank i'm taking apart, i read that you should add an anenome first, is this true.

This is the first tank I've set up this way, and my plan is to make all my other tanks this way.

I have two other tanks all will cc and canister filters, i read on this site that they are or can be considered nitrate factories if not cared for properly.

Will i beable to achieve 0 or close to 0 nitrates with this setup along with pwc weekly?

i wanted to add an anenome because i have a pair of black perculas in the tank i'm taking apart, i read that you should add an anenome first, is this true.
In my experience...no. Captive clowns do not require an anemone to thrive in a home aquarium. When added first or last, there is not way to predict if the anemone will even decide to host the clowns.

Back
Top Bottom