Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The shrimp I cut into sections and leave the shell on for my puffer to gnaw on. The other fish love it too and will let the puffer rip it apart and eat the scraps. Pretty cool to watch. If you don't have a puffer, you can just peel the shell and cut it up.

They love it? Is it as nutritious as like pet store bought shrimp?

They eat it, so I guess they love it. I would say it is nutritious, but I'm no expert on that. It's what they eat in the wild, so it should be good. And it's very cheap compared to the pet store. I get one or two per week when I go to the store and they get that along with the oysters. I feed three times a week rotating. They get regular frozen mix every other week. The main meal is oysters though. They devour that stuff.

I feed dried blood worms and sun dried gammarus. I just have small fish but they waste no time cleaning the top of the tank when I feed them.

They eat it, so I guess they love it. I would say it is nutritious, but I'm no expert on that. It's what they eat in the wild, so it should be good. And it's very cheap compared to the pet store. I get one or two per week when I go to the store and they get that along with the oysters. I feed three times a week rotating. They get regular frozen mix every other week. The main meal is oysters though. They devour that stuff.

So one time shrimp one time oysters and one time frozen mix? Why not just one or two things

That's about how it works. As for the rotation, I try to vary their diet as much as I can. With the frozen, I get different types. It seems to keep them healthy. The oysters are in a jar and soak in Garlic-Guard to help keep them healthy.

I make my own frozen food out of assorted stuff from the supermarket. I use a white meat fish, shrimp (shelled), clam, squid, and whatever else that looks interesting. I grind it up in a food processor and put it in gallon ziplocks. I flatten them out pretty good with a rolling pin or 2 liter bottle before I freeze them though, otherwise i'll have to use a chisel to break a piece off.
As for fresh fish being as nutritious as LFS food.....of course it is! Plus, it's not old and frozen in stinky water, and won't make your freezer stink.

Back
Top Bottom