Feeding new wrasse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
Still trying to decide on a couple of new fish for our 65-gal FOWLR tank with currently a yellow tang, maroon clown, bicolor blenny & purple pseudochromis. Interested in reef-safe wrasses & got a few recommendations. LiveAquaria cameo on some of these says you need to feed live shrimp to get them started eating. They recommend white shrimp, which are 1/4 - 1/2" & cost $30 for 85-100. Says you can just put them in the main tank. We don't have any fuge or backup tank. Wonder if this would work; whether the shrimp would be OK & provide food source for more than a few days or maybe even ongoing; whether they'd present any problems or just be a waste.

Also wondering whether wrasses might be too much challenge for this non-expert aquarist.

Thinking about a goby too. Open to any suggestions on interesting & compatible fish.

TIA

Bob

i would suggest getting rid of the yellow tang. the swimming space it needs is much greater than a 65 gallon tank. if you are looking for a wrasse, why not a six line wrasse? a caprenters flasher wrasse is another good option. if you get rid of the tang you could get a pair or a trio of wrasses.. i think that would look spectacular in your 65

Re: Feeding new wrasse; Yellow Tang in 65-gal

Our Yellow Tang is thriving in our 65-gal tank. IIRC it was the only tang with min tank requirements anywhere near ours. I think he does better in our tank b/c we have lots of LR that he seems to enjoy swimming around & thru the openings. If he were to start looking stressed we'd find him a new home.

I like the six-line wrasse; Carpenter's Flasher wrasse too. Prob try one of them. I was just concerned about the comments re. difficulty getting wrasses to eat; wanted to make sure we weren't getting into a fish we weren't experienced enough to care for. Appreciate any feedback on that.

Also appreciate any suggestions on fish for our tank. Like to get about two more.

I have several Canary Wrasse, zero issues with reef safe warning, They do eat crustaceans thus the "reef safe with caution". Never had any issues with them eating, other then, they don't stop.. I'm starting to think they even eat in their sleep.. Extremely social (I have 3 in the tank now, one got a lucky shot while playing and went surfing.. :()

The other thing, they will clean parasites off corals (various types), this is often ill construed as "picking at the corals". but this behaviour is pretty consistent between all wrasses..

I'm not a fan of the 6line. After a while you tire of the horror stories of how they are aggressive and territorial. YMMV.

Choosing a wrasse

Now my daughter wants me to get a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse. It is a beautiful fish, and described as hardy. It's expensive but she says she'll chip in. So I'm looking for feedback on these - are they hardy? Agressive? Susceptible to bullying by other fish? Hard to feed? Any known problems with them?

TIA

- Bob

Most flasher wrasse are hardy. Some things about the flashers.. They are called flashers because they like to flash at the surface.. Make sure you have a cover of some sort.

As for bullying. The Maroon and possibly the pseudo can cause some issues, maroons are downright mean in most cases (most are noted for attacking their owners hands when you put them in the tank). Not sure of the best way to add a fish with them. Typically I hear rearranging the rockwork will allow other fish to gain territory. Other times I'd think it's best to move the aggressive fish out, adjust the rocks, add the new fish. then give it a few days and add the aggressive fish back in.

In either case, the clown should have a hard time catching the wrasse, but if it's threatened all the time, it may just hide in the rocks and not come out..

Paracheilinus is probably a good place to start. They have some links with Q&A at the top.

Flashers are jumpers. I found my Carpenter's Flasher wrasse on the carpet one morning (didn't have eggcrate on at the time).

Flasher wrasse tips

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Our maroon clown hasn't bullied any fish so far, and we've added a couple of new ones since he's been here. Our pseudochromis is small & timid, deferring to the tang or clown when both charging for same piece of food. I can't see him/her bullying any other fish. Hoping for the best on that front. We do have lots of LR with many nooks & crannies for fish, maybe thus more "territory" than 65-gal would indicate.

We do have our openings covered. I'm trying to find time to make a better cover from a thick piece of plexiglas I picked up.

I think I'll order the McCosker's Flasher and a pink/orange spotted goby. Should add to our tank appeal, and hopefully get along with other residents.

BTW we are really enjoying our bicolor blenny - charming fish. Thanks to whoever recommended it.

Cheers all, have a good day.

- Bob

Back
Top Bottom