filter pads or live rock in sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
filter pads or live rock in sump?

i was thinking of having filter pads in the first chamber of my sump (where the water comes in from the tank) but i had a thought last night that i could put live rock in there instead.

i thought the benefits of this would be:

that there wouldnt be a build up of nitrates on the filter pads as they wouldnt be there, and the live rock wouldnt get any as it would just get it of it!

it would mean less work for me, i know i shouldnt be saying this but it would, as i could just leave the live rock to it?

and also it would add to the bacterial levels in the tank, and more surfasces for them,

the doenside is it would be more expensive.

what do you guys think of this?

also to get the live rock smaller to fit in the chamber , 30cm by 15c, do you guys know a way of making it smalle, crushiiing it into smaller pieces?

thanks
andrew

also to get the live rock smaller to fit in the chamber , 30cm by 15c, do you guys know a way of making it smalle, crushiiing it into smaller pieces?

A hammer :)

I think they both (filter pad and live rock) have their beniifts for this type of installation. The filter pads can be used to filter out large items like uneaten food chunks, etc and then the live rock can be used as ammonia reduction, etc. Changing the filter pads say once a month or once every few weeks in favor for clean ones would lower the amount of nitrates they produce.

Back
Top Bottom