Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ken_wied

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All, New to the board.

I have a 29 gal SW tank, and currently use a whisper 60 powerfilter for filtration and a powerhead w/sponge. the sponge is covered by LR and never had a problem with this tank. Just got a 50 Gal, and its set up, cycling, and now growing that brown algae on the side and sand. i have a Magnum 220 canister filter, 2 power heads and a smaller intank filter (wet/dry). Is the magnum fine or should i upgrade?
Ken

Why not use biological filtration which is LR and a skimmer. That`s all that is needed IMO. All I used for yrs. I still have it but I`ve added a refuge now.

WELCOME TO AA!!

How long has your cycle been going? If it is near the end, you may just be seeing diatoms, which is natural and they will go away over night. Like mel said, you can go even more natural, add 1.5-2Lbs of LR per gallon and that will replace the filter. I am planning on doing this for my 125G. I do run a filter on my 55G, but really only for a little extra water movement.

Before even thinking about upgrading the canister I would get a skimmer instead.

melosu58 said:
Before even thinking about upgrading the canister I would get a skimmer instead.
I agree, I am going skimmer on my new tank and LR, no filters.

Since it sounds like you already have a cannister filter, what I would do is replace all the filter media with live rock rubble (which is usually much cheaper than the Live Rock itself) and definitely get a good protein skimmer.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I agree with the other in that plenty of LR and agressive skimming are great means of filtration. I also agree that the algae is most likely diatoms, which are a natual part of the cycling process. It is a product of excess nutrients in the water being consumed and they will ussually burn themselves out.

Thanks for all the advice!! :) I have had the tank cycling for about a month now, but did a partial water change of my 30 gal into the 55, and let the old sponge filter float for a while. Will definitely go with the live rock and protien skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom