Filtration, and skimmer questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, im new to the forum and i just had some questions about what is the most efficient filtration for my tank. Im changing my reef over to a predator tank, but i am keeping a couple mushrooms and a couple simple soft corals in there aswell. I have a 180 g tank with a 75 g sump. Right now i just have a 6 inch deep sandbed in my sump with about 30lbs of live rock, and a protein skimmer. I have about 200lbs of rock in the display tank aswell. I plan to have 2 sharks, a small ray, 2 groupers, a goatfish, and i also have a blue chin trigger pair. Should i get rid of the sand? Replace with bio balls? Or canister filter on the side? Any suggestions would he great. I know all about the requirments for rays and sharks and the tank will be upgraded. I also wanted to know if your able to over skim a tank, the skimmer im getting is good up to 350gallons. Thanks in advance.

You can't have two sharks in that tank, only one. And the only shark you might be able to get by with for a couple years is the coral cat shark. If you want a ray then you'd need to get rid if most of your rock for an open space for it to swim. Also you can't have triggers with a stingray otherwise the stingrays eyes will be poked out and be tortured to death. Your stock looks fine if you get rid of the stingray and a shark. Preferably both sharks otherwise their growth will become stunted in a 6 foot tank. 7 or 8 would be better.

I know 2 people that have had sharks together, one of them has 4 banded bamboo sharks together, you just have to make sure you only have 1 male, but you can have females together without problems. but are you able to tell me about any filtration ideas. All those fish are a heavy bio-load and I just want to know what the best filtration to make sure i have the best water parameters. last week I got a Banded bamboo shark, he must be a newborn because hes barely over 6 inches long. He ate for the first time yesterday since i got him. I understand the requirements for sharks and rays, and i said i will be upgrading. I will give them more space than just required.

Taron said:
I know 2 people that have had sharks together, one of them has 4 banded bamboo sharks together, you just have to make sure you only have 1 male, but you can have females together without problems. but are you able to tell me about any filtration ideas. All those fish are a heavy bio-load and I just want to know what the best filtration to make sure i have the best water parameters. last week I got a Banded bamboo shark, he must be a newborn because hes barely over 6 inches long. He ate for the first time yesterday since i got him. I understand the requirements for sharks and rays, and i said i will be upgrading. I will give them more space than just required.

If you want a stingray then you can't have a trigger. And what I meant was that you can't have 2 sharks in that size a tank.

Back
Top Bottom