Filtration questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SABOB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
55 gallon FOWLR currently running Fluval 404 with carbon and BioMax
Also have 2 Penguin Powerheads ,2 inch sandbed( 20 lbs live sand and 20 lbs agronite)and about 45 lbs of live rock.After reading some other posts,my question is,do I need to remove foam screens in Fluval?And should I continue with BioMax and carbon?

parametrs are pH 8.1 nitrites 0 nitrates 10 Temp 80 Salinity 1.024

Any suggestions would be helpful.I recently discovered this site and have been impressed with all the helpful and kind suggestions to newbies like me!!!

I wouldn't remove any filtration from that tank without upping the LR to around 65-75 lbs. Without more rock I would recommend controling nitrates with water changes.

yea id definitely leave the foam screens in the filter, they'll help stop any debris like left over foad and fish waste that is floating in the water get filtered so its just not getting pushed through the tank.

HI, I would take the foam out of the Fluval 404 to hard to clean every few days.
The food it will trap, will eventually cause more harm then good...
Use your other filters that are easier to clean every few days...:)
Save your money for more live rock it's cheper then carbon in the long run.
I read somewhere that carbon in saltwater is only good for about 3 to 4 days!!
If you'd like to check out "the new marine AQUARIUM" a book by Michael S. Palette. may enlighten you on how LR WORKS.

Back
Top Bottom