Finally figured out what FOWLR stands for.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I posted in the reef forum about a month or so ago asking questions when in actuality the FOWLR route is what I will go to start with. Initially I was going to go with an all in one self contained biocube, but that deal fell through so now I a going to convert my 16 gallon bow front into a FOWLR with the plan to add corals over time after I maintain the FOWLR successfully for a while.

My question is 16 pounds of live rock and 16 pounds of live sand should be all I need to get going correct? I have an internal filter rated up to 30 gallons I plan to use to start out, but not sure if I should use the media that is intended for it or use a different type of media like purigen bags? Also, for a tank that size how many wave makers do I need. I assume I need one to move the water column and one to agitate the surface? I read that a protein skimmer is not necessary, but I also heard and read that without a protein skimmer it is hard to keep a saltwater tank clean. I plan to do a partial water change weekly at the same time that I do my weekly 50% pwc on my 60 gallon freshwater tank. How much should I change weekly for a FOWLR tank?

I plan to use just the regular light that came with the bow front kit. It is just a standard light not suitable for plants or coral, but I assume that will be ok to start with if I am just going with FOWLR to begin with correct? Any and all information about starting a FOWLR would be appreciated. Also, I asked this question before, but cannot find the responses, but what are my stocking options for a 16 gallon bow front? I would really like a pair of clowns, but if having a pair would be a potential issue in that size tank then please give alternative recommendations. I plan to get a clean up crew from one of the online stores that specialize in that, but any insight on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks guys.

I would double the sand you want at least a 2 inch sand bed and as far as protien skimmer u should be fine with out one if u do monthly water changes I would suggest about 5 gallons a week in the beginning and after a month or so u can do changes once a month I had a 20 gallon fowlr and I can tell u it is a constant maintenance thing every week being it is such a small amount of water it has to be maintained constantly one little spike will wipe out your whole tank I would clean canister filter once a week w saltwater to prevent high nitrate levels. My best advice to u is ditch the 16 gallon and get a 100 gallon if possible the bigger the tank the easier to maintain I upgraded to a 100 long and it's been a pleasure

You may want to look through the Nano section of this forum lots of great info there. Good luck on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom