Finally got some live rock to seed the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, after much debate, I decided to buy some lr at the lfs to help seed my tank. They were kind of picked clean on the uncured but had some very nice cured rock - lots of coralline growth. I got about 16 lbs. I was really surprised it didn't weigh more. It must be less dense than my base rock. Anyway, I thought I would add a couple pictures to my gallery to let you see how it looks. live rock picture

:oops:Sorry, I guess I jumped the gun on that. They are usually approved so quick I kind of took for granted that someone actually has to take the time to go through all these. I'll bump the thread once they are up.

Thanks lando.
You know what, I felt stupid but I did not ask where it was from. I'm guessing fiji. I got it at fishland a lfs here in Houston. They have a descent dry goods selection and great livestock. Their prices are pretty competetive - although the cured lr was a little steep at $6.00/lb. Still, compared to the other local lr, I pretty happy with it. I got tired of the kids (and neighbors) of asking, "when are you getting some fish.....?," so I picked up an emerald crab and a few pepermint shrimp as well. Actually, there were 4 shrimp, but by the time I got home, one of them had gotten his head cut off. :( Remind me never to get stuck in a bag with a bunch of peppermint shrimp.

$6.00 is a good price for that rock. It looks like great rock. After all, it is already cured and has good coraline growth on it. I spend $10-11.99 here now depending on where I go. Good luck with the new critters. FYI...I would check water parameters everyday for the next week or so to be sure it really is cured. You are right, it does look like Fiji.
Lando

I just got home from working nights and found a couple hitchhiking critters. :) There is one good sized snail with a kind of banded shell and a small redish colored crab. It's time to get to bed for now, but if I can find them when I get up this afternoon, I'll post some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom