finding a good online source for live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoe55123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am thinking of ordering live rock online for the first time and i'm looking for input on doing so. websites are needed, and what you've experienced would be nice and anything else you can add, like if it's cured or not. i do have one question thou. if i order on line to i need to re-cure it before adding it to the tank?
thank you to all that relies and helps me. :)

I got a very minimal spike when i got my LR from Liverocks.com Very nice looking LR and I would Highly recommend it.. It is shipped out overnight..

HTH.
James

I was pretty happy with the rock I got from www.liveaquaria.com. I got mine delivered 2 day but I think next time, I will do next day. There was a lot of stuff on the rock that was already dead. I would definately order again.

I have heard good things about www.liverocks.com. It is a different kind of rock and has a different appearance.

If it is mail order, you will need to cure it. If you tank is uncycled, you can use it to cycle your tank. If you have a big tank though, might be tough to do the recommended 50% water changes though.

HTH

Maybe this is an odd question, but, why would you buy LR online only to have to cure it again yourself when you can pick it up, already cured, from your LFS? Does your LFS not carry LR?

I got my rock shipped for $3.33 /lb. the LFS is $5.00 or more plus the colors on the liveaquaria rock is so much better than what I have seen locally.

On my next purchase, I might drive a couple of hours to hand pick some stuff. The quality of the LR at your LFS might be better than mine though.

Go to your LFS and get already cured LR. Otherwise thinks are gonna spike. Unless you have no fish in your tank definately get cured. I've sent some questions to liveaquaria.com and they've helped a lot. you could try asking them for advice on live rock and ordering from them or liverocks.com would be a good idea.

thorn said:
Maybe this is an odd question, but, why would you buy LR online only to have to cure it again yourself when you can pick it up, already cured, from your LFS? Does your LFS not carry LR?

Some of us live out in the boonhicks where they think your smoking something if you talk of live rock. Seriouslly for me local places will charge upward to $10/lb for stuff that looks awful. Compair that to the little effort that it takes to cure your own rock and buying uncured rock and curing it yourself is very attractive. Plus you have total control over the curing process. Most LFS's do not monitor the ammonia levels in their curing tanks and from what I hear of LFS employees that have visited this forum most LFS's dont even have seperate vats for cured rock vs new rock that is uncured.

Now if your in an area that truly has a good and respectable LFS then you should feel very lucky.

I am very lucky, my LFS had some great LR. I picked up some 20 to 30 inch pieces that had great color and was fully cured. The price was a little high ($10 per pound), but it was the best that I had gotten so far. I purchase from three different places off the Internet and none of the rock received measured up to my LFS or lived up to the pictures of the online store that was providing the rock.

Back
Top Bottom