Fins grow back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was inspecting a yellow tang to buy, and I really like the guy. He was beating up by some other fishes at the LFS and I plan on picking him up tomorrow and bringing him home.

My question is he has some fin damage because of him being picked on before they moved him to another tank. He looks healthy and is eating, and swimming fine. It's not a lot of fin damage, but I was just wondering how long do they take to grow back?

I know fins can grow back as long as its not to the meat. The fins just looked a little nipped and not to the meat at all. As long as he/she is healthy looking, eating, and swimming it shouldn't be an issue purchasing right? I like the size of the guy, and besides the 2 area's that are damaged, it is a gorgeous fish. I don't mind the damaged fins as it's really not that bad looking. I am just wondering what you guys think, should I ask for a discount on price? I am going to get the fish regardless of price, but just wanted to know opinions.

Since it's not major damage i'd put it at around a couple weeks. Fins grow back very quickly. Make sure it's eating seaweed, it will help the tang heal. As for a discount I really don't know if they will give you one. Won't hurt to ask.

I buy a ton from their store, you would think I would be handed a discount for shopping there so much. lol

I got seaweed sheets, I will start putting them back in my tank. I have a clip, but my fish didn't seem to like it, so I stopped. I keep hearing to put it in some garlic to get them to eat it. What brand of garlic would I get to soak the seaweed in? I am very cautious with what I put into my tank, I stuck in my ways and I have been feeding brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, Krill, and pellets only. So I guess I will need to start adding the seaweed more to the tank being I am getting a Yellow Tang.

Thanks!

Garlic guard works well....any garlic supplement will work. I have 4 tangs in my tank. They didn't take to nori on the clip. Instead I used a rubber band to attach it to a piece of Tonga rock and they went after it very quickly.

I got my fish today. Three fish in total.

A yellow Tang
A Yellow Eye Tang
and a Sleeper Goby.

They seem happy in the new tank. I didn't drip acclimate them, I opened bagged them and added water for about 35 minutes. I have a total of 7 fish now, and that is the limit as I am maxing out my tank. It's not overstocked, but it's right at the limit where I can become overstocked if I add one or two more.

My Coral Beauty looks POed. lol He is flashing his colors, and all my other existing fish are freaking out. I hope they all get a long, and will be good tank mates in a few days. I know a little flashing and chasing is to be expected.

Can two different tangs school? The reason I ask, is because I know yellow tangs are schooling fish, and when I put both the yellow tang and the yellow eye tang in together they seem to swim together. I know it's early only been about 20 minutes into the tank. It would be cool if they schooled. Within a year I am updating to a 90 gallon tank. When we move we are going to keep my old tank here until the 90 is cycled and ready to go. So I don't kill all my fish. When I get the 90 I will buy two or three more fish.

So how long do you think the chasing will last? I got the lights off to help them clam down.

a couple days he will get bored of chasing and settle down watch your yellow eye kole tang for ich as they are very prone to it hope this helps good luck (you might wanna look into a uv sterilizer)

Yeah, I know they are prone to ich. I am watching, and they don't seem to upset and both or swimming happily in their new home. I am about to feed them some mysis shrimp in about 30 minutes. They were eating the krill on the bottom.

I am going to feed twice today for my other fish. I normally only feed once, but with new fish in town, a full bully helps with getting along. :p

Back
Top Bottom