firefish, iodine? what about other additives and fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firemedicmackey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a firefish from my local store. The first day I had him he fed very well, and swam about. For the past 3 days he's hid in my LR.

My tank (don't know if it matters)

26 gallon

2 peppermint shrimp

1 red star

bunch of snails and little crabs

alkalinity 0

nitrate 0

nitrite 0

ph 8.2

SG 1.022

I've had this tank up and running for several years. From what I've read, this isn't an overly skittish fish...I've feeding flakes and very small mysis shrimp... am I rushing this little guy? I moved my LR around and saw his hiding spot, he darts away when I move rock around...I just wanted to make sure he wasn't ten fins up somewhere...

I've read that shrimp need iodine added for propper molting (don't know what that is...) what is a good additive for this?

I've thought about putting in either a nano skimmer that drs foster and smith are advertising and also a submersible uv light...

I'm using purple up to boost my existing coraline

I'm not sure what 2nd (and final) fish I want. I'm debating between a clown (and an anenome) or a coral beauty or a pygmy angel...

Last, but not least...I've never explored coral or anything...but I only have a 24 watt cf 50/50 bulb and no powerhead...what can that support???

I know I'm asking alot, but if anybody can answer...I know you all can!

I've read that shrimp need iodine added for propper molting (don't know what that is...) what is a good additive for this?

PWC`s is all you need for Iodine supplementation. They are are also the answer to all supplementation with the exception of calcium. Some Marine salts dont cut it for calcium. Mine (Oceanic) does.

I've had this tank up and running for several years.

??

What have you had in it? Just the shrimp and crabs? Just curious, as it almost sounds like you're starting a new tank.

Regarding your lighting, you won't be able to keep much of anything with that lighting. Maybe some mushrooms, but that's probably about it. Definitely NOT an anemone, but a clownfish doesn't "need" one to get along fine.

What salt are you using and what are your calcium and alkalinity readings? (You noted "0" alkalinity, but I think you meant ammonia!) If you don't know your cal/alk, then stop dosing with the PurpleUp. Good rule is to not dose anything you can't test for. As melosu mentioned, water changes will normally replace everything you need in a FOWLR tank. And they're cheaper! Only thing you need for good coraline growth is a normal amount of Ca (>360ppm or so), some light (you have enough), a source of coraline to start with (if your rock doesn't have any... like if you started with base rock... it's not going to magically appear), and time.

yes...I meant amonia...

I had a damsel that died...I didn't add anything back to it for several months.

I use oceanic salt.

Any advice on which fish to add?

If you are using Oceanic salt, stop the PurpleUp. You have all the calcium you need. You might want to pick up an alkalinity and calcium test though, just to be sure.

Were you "feeding" the tank anything after the damsel died? Just curious because without any real bioload you might have lost a large portion of your bacterial population. Keep an eye on your ammonia levels over the next few weeks, even though a firefish will just add a minor little bump in your bioload. I'd wait at least a month before adding another fish. I'd probably go with the clown, given the choices you mentioned. A 29g is a bit small for any of the dwarf angels, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom