First aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you guys think? This is my first time aquascaping. I wish I had a little more room to work with. The arch on the left is not as stable as I would like...the epoxy putty didn't hold at all. Any suggestions? The guy at Petland said that plain superglue works, but I'm scared to believe him. Any thoughts? Or anything you would change about this setup? TIA!

image-2356253405.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. What size is that? Almost looks like a 20 0r 29 gallon. Good luck with the tank.

I like it! Haha i used epoxy puddy from petco and it worked ok. I was able to make a nice arch. Remember to incude some natural caves and burrows for gobys if you get one :)

Before

After. Trick is to make the rock structure outside the water and then get another person to help you lift the whole thing in! Haha its hard, but fun to make! :)

I remember that thread. Looks good! I have mine in piles/mountains on the side and open in the middle with one rock sticking up. Its like the real ocean, very tight hiding places and open water. My fish love it. It does take getting used to tho. And I dont epoxy, I just stack. :)

What do you guys think? This is my first time aquascaping. I wish I had a little more room to work with. The arch on the left is not as stable as I would like...the epoxy putty didn't hold at all. Any suggestions? The guy at Petland said that plain superglue works, but I'm scared to believe him. Any thoughts? Or anything you would change about this setup? TIA!

View attachment 84746

You can use superglue. Just make sure it's cyanoacrylate based. It's a totally inert solvent. It's used all the time to mount and/or frag corals.

Epoxy should still be a much tighter bond than superglue. Maybe try a different epoxy brand?

I think I'm gonna try to redo it. I will try superglue and maybe take out that piece on the right...not very natural looking. Thanks for the advice.

Ok I redid it. I like this a lot better. I got way better bonding stuff from Marco Rocks. What do you guys think?

image-1663318628.jpg

I like the redo as well. Though it doesn't look like a lot of rock is in the tank? Do you have enough?

Ive heard of people drilling the rocks and inserting acrylic tubing to help hold unstabe rocks together gluing them in only one of the rocks help make it removable and stable for easy tare downs i have not tryed my self but am planning on it when i move my 200 gallon as im renting my current place and my lease is almost up and im looking for a cheaper place..
I only have about 80-90 lbs of rock and about anouther 60lbs of substrate
Fish: i have a porky pine puffer, two clowns maited pair, three damsels 2 yellow tails one blue, and one foxface rabbit fish.
Various hermits and snails. No corals or nems yet need better lighting..

Thank you. Shoot...well it's a 65 gal. I think I bought 90 pounds of rock, but I guess I only used about half of it. Should I add some height to it? I don't think the bonding stuff will work in the water but maybe there would be some pieces that would fit snug enough that I wouldn't need it.

Yeah, you're going to need more rock if you only used half of the 90#'s. You can build it up, or just put more in your sump.

Or make it easy on yourself. Glue it together outside of the tank and then make sure it fits securely on top the existing rock. That way if something happens and you need to get something out you are able to lift only 45 lbs at a time.

So this is a pic of my 200 your tank looks like its got more rock than my tank although im planning on adding about 85-90#'s

ForumRunner_20120427_211011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom