First question! --new tank eqipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blorkiemom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in the process of setting up a 75-gallon FOWLR tank, and I'm feeling really overwhelmed by all of the equipment options. My LFS wants to set me up with an ASM G-1 skimmer ($255) and an complete Oceanic Model 1 sump kit ($257--probably I can get a 10% or so discount on these prices.) I'm having a hard time finding much info on these brands . . . I see that ASM is the budget offspring of EuroReef, and that I can get a EuroReef ES5-3 (which seems to be the comparable model) from Captivereefs.com for $10 more. The Oceanic sump I'm having no luck at all on! I'm not clear what's included in the various sumps (what extras have to be bought, etc). Does anyone have any comments on this particular combination--or suggestions for a better one? Are there "gold standard" brands that I can compare against? Any help greatly appreciated!

I'm not up on the skimmers for larger tanks but I think you could find a decent skimmer for less than $255. As for the sump, with a little elbow grease you can make your own out of a rubbermaid tub or an old aquarium. I've not done it myself yet, but it doesn't take much work and you can customize it to your liking. You just need an overflow (if your tank is not drilled or doesn't come with overflows) some plumbing and a return pump. Check the DIY forum for more info. You could always set the tank up initially without the sump and add it later if you have to...the skimmer isn't a necessity for a brand new tank either...you can wait till you have the tank up and running with some livestock before adding the skimmer. You've come to the right place though, you're sure to get lots of help here. HTH :)

Back
Top Bottom