First saltwater fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw3ll3r3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, I am working on getting my first saltwater fish tank. Currently all i have is a beta fish in a 2.5 gallon tank. Its super easy to take care of, the tank is small so it requires cleaning a lot. But recently I bought a 20 gallon tank. I bought some items and i would like some advice on what else I need and what to get! Thank you!

- 20 Gallon Tank
- Pump (for up to 30 gallons) I dont know the name im at school.
- Heater ( I dont know the watts, im at school)
- Fish food
- water conditioner

What else do i need, beside salt water mix thats obvious.

I understand I will need fish and stuff, im talking about equipment to get started

It depends on what you want as a finished product. Is this gonna be a fowlr or reef? Are you on a budget?

Also water conditioner is not needed in saltwater due to the fact that you should be mixing your own water with a good salt mix and Ro/Di water, premixed saltwater, or real ocean water.

Also water conditioner is not needed in saltwater due to the fact that you should be mixing your own water with a good salt mix and Ro/Di water, premixed saltwater, or real ocean water.

I only want fish. I'm during this for my girlfriend who wants a clown fish. I don't want reefs that doesn't matter to me. What does fowr mean? I am on a budget but I have most of the stuff already.

Live rock could be classed as 'equipment' as it is probably the best filtration you can have in a saltwater tank. You can do with out it but you will need a very good external filter preferrably.

If you want to introduce corals i think you need some more research.

If you are doing a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) aquarium then you need less equipment. Lights are not as important. Protein Skimmers are also not necessary. To allow your fish to thrive you must make sure your filtration is the best you can possibly get and afford.

begginersluck said:
Live rock could be classed as 'equipment' as it is probably the best filtration you can have in a saltwater tank. You can do with out it but you will need a very good external filter preferrably.

If you want to introduce corals i think you need some more research.

If you are doing a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) aquarium then you need less equipment. Lights are not as important. Protein Skimmers are also not necessary. To allow your fish to thrive you must make sure your filtration is the best you can possibly get and afford.

Thanks that was good information. I want a FOWLR tank! I have a $120 can you give me some links to good filters and stuff. I have a 20 gallon tank.

Get down to the LFS (local fish shop) and see what they have. Its better to get one rated more than what your tank is so if your tank is 20G get a filter that can handle 30 to 40G. Going one up is always good thinking in saltwater tanks.

If you go down the live rock route you wont need a filter. About a pound per galon of live rock is generally the rule. If you can get the live rock at a good price go for that as it is much better than mechanical filters. The addition of a protein skimmer would be good too.

If you decide to buy live rock make sure its cured first. I'f its not cured you could introduce polutants into your aquarium. Sometimes people sell fully cured live rock on 2nd hand webites. that would be the cheapest way to get some. make sure you check out their set up first.

begginersluck said:
Get down to the LFS (local fish shop) and see what they have. Its better to get one rated more than what your tank is so if your tank is 20G get a filter that can handle 30 to 40G. Going one up is always good thinking in saltwater tanks.

If you go down the live rock route you wont need a filter. About a pound per galon of live rock is generally the rule. If you can get the live rock at a good price go for that as it is much better than mechanical filters. The addition of a protein skimmer would be good too.

If you decide to buy live rock make sure its cured first. I'f its not cured you could introduce polutants into your aquarium. Sometimes people sell fully cured live rock on 2nd hand webites. that would be the cheapest way to get some. make sure you check out their set up first.

I have a filter that's rated at 30 gallons. I'm a complete noop if this isn't obviously already, I'm just learning. A protein skimmer is that the salt water version of a algea eating fish?

sw3ll3r3 said:
I have a filter that's rated at 30 gallons. I'm a complete noop if this isn't obviously already, I'm just learning. A protein skimmer is that the salt water version of a algea eating fish?

No its a canister that bubbles and tank water are blown into by a pump which the surface tension of the bubbles causes fine organic material and other bad stuff to stick to them and they float to the top falling into the collection cup. They are a major help in keeping nitrates down since it removes a lot of the waste before it can even begin to break down. Tanks under 30 gallons though don't really need them if you don't overstock and keep up with your routine maintenance and WCs (waterchanges)

Mrc8858 said:
No its a canister that bubbles and tank water are blown into by a pump which the surface tension of the bubbles causes fine organic material and other bad stuff to stick to them and they float to the top falling into the collection cup. They are a major help in keeping nitrates down since it removes a lot of the waste before it can even begin to break down. Tanks under 30 gallons though don't really need them if you don't overstock and keep up with your routine maintenance and WCs (waterchanges)

I only have a 20 gallon so I probably won't get it. Would an algea fish help

sw3ll3r3 said:
I only have a 20 gallon so I probably won't get it. Would an algea fish help

Apple's and oranges lol. This goes for FW and SW. You shouldn't NEED any fish/invert to do tank maintenance. That's your job ;)

Mrc8858 said:
Apple's and oranges lol. This goes for FW and SW. You shouldn't NEED any fish/invert to do tank maintenance. That's your job ;)

True, but some of them look cool.

Dreamsound1 said:
Are you going to put anemones for your clown fish?

Once again I'm a noob so please define anemones for me!

Dreamsound1 said:
Are you going to put anemones for your clown fish?

Nems will require reef lighting which I don't think the OP wants to get.

UPDATE ON THE ACTUAL ITEMS I HAVE

-20 gallon tank
- Marineland penguin 150b filter
-stealth pro 100 watt heater
-lid and led lights
- food

Mrc8858 said:
Nems will require reef lighting which I don't think the OP wants to get.

Lmao I feel so stupid, you referred to me as op?

Back
Top Bottom