First saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank that has been setup for almost a year. I want to get into saltwater, but this is as big of a tank I can get (I just setup a 36 African cichlid tank in January). What equipment do I need to buy? I don't want corals in there, so no special lighting right? What can I still use? If my mom lets me go through with this, I want to know everything I need to know to make it successful. Is everything pretty much the same for saltwater as it is for fresh? What could the stock list be? What inverts do I need? I don't know much about saltwater tanks, so please tell me everything I need to know. Sorry for all the questions.:ermm:

Thank you!

I'm just starting a salt tank as well. The bigger tank the better. Some things you may need would be a good filter HOB preferred. Also, a water test kit for saltwater, sea salt mix (Instant Ocean should be the best) and a hydrometer/refractometer to measure salinity. These are just a few things you may need. I would also possibly recommend getting live rock. reccommended 1lb/per glalon, but as much or as little as you want should be good.

If its just a fish only tank you are right, lights don't really matter however there are not many options for saltwater fish for that size. Clown goby maybe or a fire fish? Check out the nano section of live aquaria for stock options. The whole set up is different from fresh so do plenty of research. Not saying it can't be done but with such a small tank it's hard to keep parameters in check :) also something to think about, tap water is not recommended for a salt tank so think about your options for water...

Thanks guys!
Why isn't tap water recommended to use? And what do you mean by the setup is different? I think I might be able to talk her into a 25 gallon. All of this probably wont happen until August so I have time to research.

Always better to go bigger if possible in S, especially if its your first SW tank. More water = a more forgiving tank for parameters. Small tank params can fluctuate fast and you need to be on top of it.
Tap water has too many heavy metals and other chemicals that make it not suited well for SW without a good effort to eliminate them (such as let the water sit for an extended time and such). If you use tap you will most likely be fighting an uphill battle against algae continually. And if it just fish that's one thing but inevitability you will want corals and inverts which are sensitive to stuff in tap water.

By different set up To fresh i mean there are many different ways to run a SW tank. Do some research here on nano tanks and their many different types of filtration. There are also different salt set ups (fish only, reef) and they are set up accordingly. It can be very confusing I you are coming from a freshwater background! For instance I run a 55g reef with no mechanical filtration at all, just plenty of live rock and powerheads...

I was thinking of just doing a FOWLR tank, cycling with the live rock and adding inverts then fish. Filteration would be the live rock and a HOB filter.
As for the stock I was thinking a fire fish and two damsels?
How would this work out in a ten gallon?

Damsels are mean devils. Might possibly kill off the firefish and then one another.

I was also searching about Pygmy angels? They only get around 3 inches, so could I have one of these and inverts?

Check out liveaquaria.com in the nano fish section and select tank size 10g. That will come up with all the suitable fish for your tank size. Pygmy angels recommended 55g minimum...

Sorry I haven't replied in a few days, but I was looking at gobies and pistol shrimp. Would it be possible to do one of each and a clown or firefish? At my lfs I found a used 29 gallon tank, stand and light for $125, but mom said I could do better.

Thanks!

Also, is a sump required I'd could I just have a lot of LR? I was wondering if cycling is the same? I remember reading that nitrates should be around 10 ppm after the cycle. Is true?

A sump is not required on a 29 but if you have the time and cash it's always a bonus! And yes you could just do plenty of live rock for filtration. As for the cycle pick up a salt water test kit (liquid if you can) and text throughout. After a spike in ammonia, followed by nitrites you will end up with high nitrates, hopefully much higher than 10ppm :)

How high should the nitrates get? I will defiantly get the API master saltwater kit. I have the freshwater one and I LOVE it. Also what is a good brand that has powerheads for cheap?

I did some more reading and nitrates should be around 30 ppm, correct?

There is not an exact number the nitrates will reach. As long as amm and nitrites have come down to 0 you will have high nitrates (depending on how good a cycle it was) some get 20ppm some as much as 80 or 100ppm then you do a big water change before adding your first fish :)

Back
Top Bottom