First Saltwater Tank for a 14 Year Old!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawyer_Peyton18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have an empty 55 gallon glass tank and stand which was gave to me for free. I've had many tanks ranging from a 10 gallon tropical community, 3 gallon Betta Tank, 1 Gallon Betta tank( small I know will be upgrading)! Also a 55 gallon African Cichlid Tank. I have all these tanks and now I have the courage to start a fowlr tank ( after a while maybe a reef) can u give me any advice on anything?

Not sure on the stock!
2 Occ. Clowns
6 Blue-Green Chromis
I don't know about display fish! Wanted a yellow tang but, I don't know! ?

My biggest concern is filtration!! But MOST OF ALL I'm on a BUDGET!!

?Sawyer?

None of the tanks you listed are big enough for a yellow tang. The others seem like good choices (clowns are particularly good for beginners, very hardy). Liveaquaria.com has tons of info on fish, their tank requirements, and compatibility with other fish. You should check it out. Good luck!

How many gallons is the SW tank you will be starting?

At least give the guy a decent answer.
Yes a 55 is big enough for a small yellow tang as long as you understand that it will outgrow the tank in about a years time and will need to be rehoused in a larger tank.
So it comes down to if you want to pick fish that will grow to an appropriate size for the tank at their adult size or if you want to swap fish out.
Ideally you should go with fish that will be appropriate size for your tank as an adult, but nobody is going to confiscate your tank and slap you in the head for getting a small tang, as long as you learn what they need and are willing/able to provide it.
But I would recommend that you avoid tangs and butterflies as a beginner though as they are much more demanding and temperamental.
Clowns, damsels, gobies would all be good, hardy choices that would be the perfect size as adults in a 55.

At least give the guy a decent answer.
Yes a 55 is big enough for a small yellow tang as long as you understand that it will outgrow the tank in about a years time and will need to be rehoused in a larger tank.
So it comes down to if you want to pick fish that will grow to an appropriate size for the tank at their adult size or if you want to swap fish out.
Ideally you should go with fish that will be appropriate size for your tank as an adult, but nobody is going to confiscate your tank and slap you in the head for getting a small tang, as long as you learn what they need and are willing/able to provide it.
But I would recommend that you avoid tangs and butterflies as a beginner though as they are much more demanding and temperamental.
Clowns, damsels, gobies would all be good, hardy choices that would be the perfect size as adults in a 55.

Ok I have come a cross a cheap 75 gallon tank. (I would have to convince my parents to let me buy it. It's not that they would have to buy it I buy my own tanks and supplies) it's just I don't know if they would allow me to put it upstairs in my room!? if I was to get it is there any way possible to make the 55 gallon a sump? If so I really have no Idea how to work a sump, how it connects to the tank, or anything! I am completely new at this!

?Sawyer?

Scratch the whole idea about the 75 not going to happen! I'm going to use the 55. I don't know anything about a sump so I don't think I'm going to use one. I'm going to get a sump/Skimmer/wet dry filter combo. Any fish stock list options?

?Sawyer?

Ok I have come a cross a cheap 75 gallon tank. (I would have to convince my parents to let me buy it. It's not that they would have to buy it I buy my own tanks and supplies) it's just I don't know if they would allow me to put it upstairs in my room!�� if I was to get it is there any way possible to make the 55 gallon a sump? If so I really have no Idea how to work a sump, how it connects to the tank, or anything! I am completely new at this!

��Sawyer��
Yes it could, it wouldn't be practical, but no reason it can't be done.
There are lots of plans/designs for sumps in the DIY section and I'm sure you could figure it out just by looking at various pictures and stuff. Check out what the lfs you frequent has set-up.
For you the best option would be the 20 gallon as a sump or use a Rubbermaid container if you want, again no hard rules set in stone regardless of what some may say.
Before committing one way or the other, research the different types of sump/refugium setups available and go from there. It will be much easier if you have a clear idea of what you want the end result to be from the beginning rather than try to make modifications later. ;)

Yes it could, it wouldn't be practical, but no reason it can't be done.
There are lots of plans/designs for sumps in the DIY section and I'm sure you could figure it out just by looking at various pictures and stuff. Check out what the lfs you frequent has set-up.
For you the best option would be the 20 gallon as a sump or use a Rubbermaid container if you want, again no hard rules set in stone regardless of what some may say.
Before committing one way or the other, research the different types of sump/refugium setups available and go from there. It will be much easier if you have a clear idea of what you want the end result to be from the beginning rather than try to make modifications later. ;)

I will be keeping the 55 gallon. I am stuck on filtration! I want excellent filtration but I'm on a budget!?

If I have
LIVE SAND AND ROCK
PROTEIN SKIMMER (110 gallons)

Do I need a HOB filter for mechanical and chemical filtration?

?Sawyer?

Iv got a 55 and iv got no sump im just running a skimmer on it im growning corals fine

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO, if you have a skimmer for a tank 2x the size of yours, you could get away with out one. If you do have the extra $$$ go with an aqua clear 70 or 110 and run chemipure and the sponge that comes with it. It sucks that acs arnt cheap.

IMO, if you have a skimmer for a tank 2x the size of yours, you could get away with out one. If you do have the extra $$$ go with an aqua clear 70 or 110 and run chemipure and the sponge that comes with it. It sucks that acs arnt cheap.

Ok thanks. I will probably buy a 110. Do you know if chemi pure elite is any good?

?Sawyer?

You are headed in the right direction. Chemipure is awesome. I use it in my 15 column

Ok that's AWSOME!! If I have a CUC, 2 Occ. Clowns, 2 Azure Damselfish, what other fish could I get???

?Sawyer?

That depends on what you want to do with the tank. A dwarf angel like a coral beauty or a flame angel would be a nice fit. I keep a marine betta in my 55 reef tank and is a perfect citizen...only because I have no shrimp or crabs that he'd want to munch on.

That depends on what you want to do with the tank. A dwarf angel like a coral beauty or a flame angel would be a nice fit. I keep a marine betta in my 55 reef tank and is a perfect citizen...only because I have no shrimp or crabs that he'd want to munch on.

I also want a cleaner shrimp!
I don't know about a dwarf Angel one day I want to do a reef?

?Sawyer?

Back
Top Bottom