Fish Compatibility - Yellow Fin Damsel vs 6 Line Wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ekean45

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60 gallon SW tank and have had a yellow fin damsel in for about 3 months. Yesterday, I added a 6 line wrasse. The wrasse is a bit larger than the damsel.

When I first put them in, the damsel and wrasse were intermittently going blow for blow in I guess you could only describe as head butting each other. I was a a bit worried I'd have to take one of them out.

Today, they just seem to be following each other around. The damsel more following the wrasse. However, they are no longer head butting each other. The damsel does often raise his dorsal fin and flutter his tail at the wrasse but nothing else.

Is this just a display of dominance that will pass or will one of them get too stressed out?

It might go away but each case is different give it a few days and youll know

They are establishing the hierarchy in your tank (or for their part of the reef, in their eyes). I think it'll pass, but with the dominant fish pestering the other at times.

After the first day, they now seem to get along. The wrasse swims around where he wants and the damsel justs sticks out his dorsal fin and flutters his tail. Pretty cool actually.

Back
Top Bottom