fish list...suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DamselnDistress

Aquarium Advice Regular
will they fight? too many? bad for 2 month old tank? add one or two more fish? what order should they go in? I have a 75 gal and im adding 80 or 90 lbs of pre cured live rock and i'll definately wait before adding fish to make sure theres no spikes....fluval 404 canister filter and im adding a prizm pro hang on skimmer. This is the order im thinking

Black and white percula clown and a percula clown added at the same time
yellow tang
copperband butterfly
imperator angel
possibly a foxface or a longnose butterfly if they'll work or a humu trigger but i think those are too agressive and i really want the copperband

DamselnDistress said:
This is the order im thinking

Black and white percula clown and a percula clown added at the same time
I would opt for either two of the black/white striped percs or two reg percs. I would not suggest mixing the two as it will eventually lead to fighting.

yellow tang
copperband butterfly
imperator angel
Depending on the type of tank you will have, the imperator and butterfly are not reef compatible and should be housed on FO or FOWLR. I would also suggest choosing only one of them. Three large growing species in a 75 gal tank is ill advised.

possibly a foxface or a longnose butterfly if they'll work or a humu trigger but i think those are too agressive and i really want the copperband
Same thing applies here, too many large growing fish. I would suggest choosing one from the list and then selecting a few more smaller growing species.

What type of tank?

Cheers
Steve

Triggers are very aggressive and may kill the clowns, at least. I had a baby one kill a lemonpeel angel and then started in on a large tomato clown.

Are copperbands really really hard to care for? If it'll have a hard time in my only 3 month old tank I don't want to risk killing it. Maybe I'll just go with 1 clown. I know I definately want the yellow tang. How about a bi color angelfish, or will the yellow on the angelfish make it hard for it and the tang to get along. Could I put those with a black and white butterfly since it's a smaller butterfly? Could I mix a black and white butterfly with a yellow longnose butterfly if i didn't have the tang? It's a FOWLR tank. How's this combo?

2 clowns
Black and white butterfly
Yellow long nose butterfly
Maybe another smaller fish

or is this still too many large fish with the 2 butterflies or could i maybe slip in a blue tang or a nasco tang or the bi color angelfish. im struggling with the fish list.

I think you should limit your list to 1 bigger fish (either a tang or a butterfly) Keep in mind that if you are going to be making this a reef tank that, the butterfly isn't reef compatible as Steve mentioned previously. Why not go with a tang, a couple of clowns, a basslet and a goby... something like this would be a good combo.

The clowns are a good choice but I would not suggest the yellow longnose and the heniochus for a 75 gal tank. There just isn't sufficient growing room. If you are partial to butterflies I would actually suggest a klein's butterfly. It is much easier to care for and probabley won't get much larger than about 5ish" (without the tail). That would leave room for one more smaller growing fish like a dwarf angel and possibley a benthic fish depending on your final choices.

Cheers
Steve

I agree the clowns are a good idea, but I disagree about the Longnose. This butterfly in my experience among the least demanding and would be quite happy in an established and stable 75gal. I'm actually more fond of the Longnose than the yellow tang, which I've always found often quarrelsome and moody unlike the usually passive Longnose.

I've had mixed results with Klein's or the similiar Racoon. The copperband is however a high risk fish as far as I'm concerned and not a good recomendation because of it's fickle hardiness record. Considering the high fatality rate of this fish I have no idea why it's even imported. A school of flame gobies is just as pretty and far easier to take care of.

Triggers are for FO tanks, and even then the Niger seems to stay out of trouble and be more community compatible than the Huma-Huma.

Dwarf angels are one of the reasons I stay in this hobby. Wonderfull fish for an established 75gal.

Ok so I'll go with the clowns and the longnose butterfly and a bi color angel, could i mix that with a midnight angel? or a halfback angel? Or can i not mix dwarf angels. So the heniochus and the longnose mixed is a bad idea? Even with just 2 small clowns and a dwarf angel that doesn't grow large?

DamselnDistress said:
Ok so I'll go with the clowns and the longnose butterfly and a bi color angel,
Personally, I do not think you will have much luck with the longnose but if you attempt it I would wait for about a 8-12 months to let the tank properly establish itself.

could i mix that with a midnight angel? or a halfback angel? Or can i not mix dwarf angels.
Mixing dwarfs is a 50/50 prospect. Sometimes if works other times it's just a madhouse. If this where a larger tank it may be less risky but I would not suggest it.

So the heniochus and the longnose mixed is a bad idea? Even with just 2 small clowns and a dwarf angel that doesn't grow large?
Those two fish housed together would do better in a 125 gal or larger. I would definately not put them together in a 75 gal.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom