Fish Only or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukeoslavia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am pretty new to the forum and returning to fish keeping. I just set up a freshwater 32g about a month ago, and well the MTS kicked in super fast. I now have a 75g on the way.

I had planned to do an American cichlid tank, but was reading it might be just as easy or even easier to maintain a fish-only saltwater tank. I had a reef tank in the past that was more of a heartache than enjoyment and threw me off the hobby for a while (no fish deaths, just had to give them up due to cyanobacteria winning the war)

I am wondering though since it's been years. I have RO water with a re-mineralizer. And it outputs 7.3 - 7.5 ph water. This is perfect for FW but I'm wondering if it's practical to use for a fish-only SW tank. I don't want to go chasing PH around again.

Does anyone have any advice on SW ph or should I stick to the cichlid idea?

Your ph in a sw tank will be maintained by the rock sand and water itself. I’ve also never been a proponent of chasing a certain ph, just let the tank run at what it runs at, I don’t even test it. In terms of dealing with cyano, it’s usually a flow issue so you shouldn’t let that discourage you from keeping a reef. The new power heads are all pretty much customizable so it’s easy to maintain proper flow.

I don't plan on any live rock / base, I was going to use some fake reef-looking decorations from Petsmart or amazon.

So I should just add my sand and decorations and just forget about the ph level? I also had a refugium and skimmer and all kinds of stuff when I had the reef tank. I was thinking I could get by with just an fx4 with a fish-only aquarium plus two wavemakers. Does that sound about right?

Back
Top Bottom