Fish Only Upkeep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkUmbreon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read a lot of posts stating thst live rock is your main filtration when it comes to saltwater tanks. Well how about if you can't get any live rocks at all? Unfortunatly live rock is pretty much illegal in Hawaii. So does this mean I'll need a good filter like a HOB or a canister? More frequent water changes?

Surely it can be bought in stores? Is it just that it is illegal to take from the ocean? I have no idea about Hawaii laws but there are plenty of people on here who are keeping salt tanks in Hawaii so hopefully they can offer some advice...

Its illegal to sell them also, I've researched it and it seems they are really strict about corals and live rocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of rock do you reccomend

Instead of buying it online are plain dead coral skeletons fine?

It is illegal in many places to collect live rock, let alone close to the lbs per gallon recommended for our tanks. This is a good situation for macro or base rock. That and you'd avoid any nasty stuff from it, as what you'd find on shore can be quite polluted and toxic in a close system.

Coral rubble dried up and bleached in the sun isn't really live at all. You're aloud to take dead coral rubble for personal use.

Depending on where you live. It isn't legal everywhere. And as stayed above, can contain pollutants I wouldn't want to add to my tank along with you needing to gather a large amount to put your tank in the 1 lbs per gallon rule.

My tank is fairly small; the tank is a 5.5

Back
Top Bottom